Duterte unveils P200-B aid for poorest families affected by COVID-19 outbreak

Marje Pelayo

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has announced a P200-billion social protection program for low-income families affected by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

During a televised speech on Monday (March 30), the President noted that such financial assistance is reportedly the biggest social amelioration program in the country so far.

“We have allotted P200 billion for low-income households who are badly affected by the current crisis,” the President said.

Sila ang nasa [They belong to the] informal sector and those with no work, no pay,” he added.

Under the program, beneficiary households will receive emergency support for two months based on the prevailing regional minimum wage rates.

“To those who have more in life, I implore you to take in the cause of taking care of the less fortunate and keeping the society intact,” he appealed.

“They have also contributed in the prosperity in one way or the other. Let us support them in this crisis,” he added.

President Duterte also appealed to the private sector to reach out and help the vulnerable sector at this time of crisis.

Buksan natin ang ating puso sa nangangailangan [Let us open our hearts to the needy]. I also appeal to the private sector to contribute in any way you can in dealing with this national emergency,” he said.

“We implore employers to do their part in protecting the welfare of the millions of Filipino households who belong in the formal sector,” he added.

Meanwhile, the President thanked those who silently extend help to those in need.

“For those who have silently helped, away from the cameras, maraming salamat po [Thank you so much],” the President concluded.

The post Duterte unveils P200-B aid for poorest families affected by COVID-19 outbreak appeared first on UNTV News.