ECB set to up the ante

The European Central Bank looks set to dig its heels in this week and refuse any more easy money for governments as the political resolve to rein in deficits shows signs of crumbling, analysts say.

The ECB's regular monthly policy-setting meeting -- held in Barcelona on Thursday instead of Frankfurt -- could turn into something of a showdown as patience wears thin over government back-tracking on fiscal consolidation.

Since the last meeting in April, there has been a resurgence in the eurozone sovereign debt crisis even as everything suggests that the 17-nation eurozone has fallen into recession.

In the face of this, a growing number of governments are beginning to baulk at the belt-tightening measures being prescribed under the recently agreed "fiscal compact," complaining that austerity risks undercutting growth.

There have been massive protests in Greece, just bailed out again, as well as in embattled Italy and Spain.

In France, leading presidential candidate Francois Hollande has called for a re-negotiation of the fiscal compact to include growth measures.

ECB chief Mario Draghi caused a stir last week when he called for a "growth compact" to complement the fiscal compact, with some observers suggesting the central bank could be softening its stance.

But an ECB spokesman insisted that Draghi's comments marked no policy change and central bank watchers, alert to every new nuance in "ECB speak," saw it more as an attempt to put the onus back on politicians.

Draghi implied as much himself when he said the ECB could only do so much and "the ball is entirely, squarely in the court of governments and banks."

"When Draghi advocated a 'growth compact', he was referring to a need for governments to enact structural reforms to improve productivity and competitiveness in the long term," said Jennifer McKeown at Capital Economics.

"He has given no indication that the ECB will step in with a short-term boost," the analyst argued.

"Indeed, his comments even seem aimed at putting the ball into governments' court again. Not only should they do more to improve their public finances but they should take responsibility for improving the underlying economic outlook."

The ECB has been quick to take on a fire-fighting role from the very beginning of the crisis.

It quickly reversed last year's rate hikes to bring eurozone borrowing costs back down to an all-time low of 1.0 percent and embarked on a hotly contested programme of buying up the bonds of debt-mired countries so as to ease their borrowing costs.

Most recently, in two so-called long-term refinancing operations (LTROs) in December and February, it pumped more than 1.0 trillion euros ($1.3 trillion) into the banking system in a bid to avert a dangerous credit squeeze.

At the same time, however, ECB officials have insisted that such measures are only temporary and cannot cure the root cause of the crisis -- profligate spending by governments.

RBS economist Nick Matthews suggested that, with the meeting being held in Spain, seen as most at risk of next needing a debt bailout, Draghi could face questions over the possible reactivation of its SMP bond purchase programme to help ease tensions in Spanish bond markets.

However, "we continue to believe the ECB will act in a reactive rather than proactive way, with reactivation of the SMP occurring only at a point where the situation has deteriorated significantly and pressure is much greater than that witnessed in recent weeks," Matthews said.

The so-called Securities Markets Programme has been controversial from the start, with two prominent German ECB members resigning because they saw it as a way for the central bank to finance governments, something which is banned under ECB statutes.

Draghi conceded that the ECB was treading a very fine line with the programme but has insisted it was "neither eternal nor infinite."

He has declined to say whether the programme, which has lain dormant for the past five or six weeks, would be re-activated to help Spain.

Commerzbank economist Rainer Guntermann believed "ECB support (is) further off than many believe.

"Indeed, recent comments from ECB council members further substantiate the notion of no imminent change in the ECB stance," he said.

UniCredit analyst Marco Valli agreed.

"The ECB is going to stick to its wait-and-see stance. The bar for further ECB intervention -- either conventional or unconventional -- remains high," he said.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US renews travel warning to Mindanao
    US renews travel warning to Mindanao

    The US State Department renewed its warning about the risks of travel to the Philippines, in particular to the Sulu archipelago, certain regions and cities of Mindanao and the southern Sulu Sea area. In an update on Wednesday of a travel warning it issued Nov. 20, 2014, the State Department said US citizens should continue to defer non-essential travel to the Sulu archipelago due to the high threat of kidnapping of international travelers and violence linked to insurgency and terrorism there. …

  • Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda
    Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda

    The Philippine initiative to put the interests of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) front and center in global and regional trade has made significant progress following the conclusion on Thursday of the 2nd APEC Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM2) and Related Meetings in Boracay, Aklan. Called “The Boracay Action Agenda to Globalize MSMEs,” the Philippine proposal calls for a host of specific, concrete and practical interventions that APEC economies can implement to provide MSMEs wider …

  • Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week
    Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week

    The Philippines will join a 15-nation meeting in Bangkok, Thailand next week to address the migration crisis involving thousands of Rohingyas who escaped persecution in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima bared this yesterday after meeting with United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) representative to the Philippines Bernard Kerblat. In an interview, De Lima said the Philippine government has been invited to the meeting. …

  • Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon
    Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon

    LEGAZPI CITY—A magnitude 4.2 earthquake hit Prieto Diaz town in Sorsogon before dawn yesterday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said. …

  • Drought-resistant rice breeds bared
    Drought-resistant rice breeds bared

    SCIENCE CITY OF MUÑOZ, Nueva Ecija – Amid the searing heat, the Philippine Rice Research Institute central experiment station here has identified nine rice breeds which have been proven to be drought-resistant and produce high yields in temperatures as high as 38°C based on a recent study. Thelma Padolina, lead researcher of the study titled “Screening of rice-induced mutants for heat and drought tolerance,” identified the breeding lines as the Ballatinaw lines, PSB Rc72H and Azucena lines. …

  • Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning
    Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning

    The United States military will continue air and sea patrols in international waters even after the Chinese navy repeatedly warned a US surveillance plane to leave the airspace over artificial islands China is creating in the disputed South China Sea. The Philippine government also declared it would continue activities in the region, calling on China to respect freedom of navigation and aviation. “Our position on the importance of letting freedom of navigation, freedom of aviation and …

  • MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned
    MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned

    Electricity and mobile phone services would be cut throughout Metro Manila, and all private and government offices and businesses, including shopping malls, would be closed. That would be the situation on July 16 between 3 and 8 p.m. to simulate the scenario of a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has warned that an earthquake of that magnitude could occur and kill at least 33,500 people and injure at least 113,600 others following a …

  • Subaru XV now priced among sedans
    Subaru XV now priced among sedans

    Motor Image Philipinas (MIP), the authorized distributor of Subaru in the country, has positioned its brand new crossover SUV, the Subaru XV, well within the sedan segment’s price range. This move, according to MIP, was made to give the public an opportunity to experience the brand’s unique automotive technologies by lowering its price. Buyers of […] The post Subaru XV now priced among sedans appeared first on Carmudi Philippines. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options