Egypt army declares success in Sinai crackdown

Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi sacked his spy chief and two generals on Wednesday after a deadly ambush on soldiers prompted the military to launch unprecedented air strikes on militants in the Sinai.

The government appeared set on regaining control of Sinai, where 16 soldiers were killed in a militant ambush on the weekend which exposed Egypt's weak grip on the lawless peninsula despite a bolstered military presence since last year.

The changes in the military and intelligence ranks came as the army declared tentative victory against the Islamist militants on Wednesday, hours after state television reported 20 militants killed in air strikes.

The campaign to uproot the militants was launched on Tuesday, two days after gunmen ambushed a border guard outpost near Israel's border and killed the 16 soldiers, the military said in a statement.

"Elements from the armed forces and interior ministry supported by the air force began a plan to restore security by pursuing and targeting armed terrorist elements in Sinai, and it has accomplished this task with complete success," it said.

It would continue "continue implementing this plan," it added in a statement, which did not provide details of the operation.

Morsi's spokesman said the president ordered intelligence chief Murad Muwafi to retire, and the replacement of the Republican Guard's chief as well as the head of the military police, Major General Hamdi Badeen.

The spokesman, Yassir Ali, did not connect the changes to the attack, but a senior official close to Morsi told AFP the shuffle was ordered because of the Sinai incident.

He said Morsi wanted Badeen sacked because it bungled a military funeral for the slain soldiers on Tuesday in which protesters tried to assault the Islamist premier, Hisham Qandil.

Morsi also sacked the governor of North Sinai, Abdel Wahab Mabruk.

Earlier, Muwafi had issued a rare public statement defending his agency, saying that it had forewarning of the attack and had relayed it to the "relevant authorities."

He added that the intelligence did not specify where the attack would take place.

Wednesday's reported air strikes in Tumah village -- the first in the peninsula for decades -- came as security forces massed near Rafah on the Gaza border for what they called a decisive confrontation with the militants.

A senior military official in Sinai confirmed the state television report and said "20 terrorists were killed" in Apache helicopter raids and when soldiers from the 2nd Infantry Division stormed Tumah.

He said the militants were trying to escape when the helicopter targeted their vehicles.

Other security officials in the north of the peninsula reported air strikes near the town of Sheikh Zuwayid, close to the village.

Overnight, unknown assailants attacked four security checkpoints near the town of El-Arish, security officials said. The interior ministry said three policemen were wounded.

The 16 soldiers were killed when the militants raided a border guard base under the cover of mortar fire, and commandeered a military vehicle into neighbouring Israel before they were halted by an Israeli helicopter strike.

Israel had handed over to Egypt six "completely charred" bodies that were in the armoured personnel carrier that was driven into Israel before being destroyed, said a medical official in El-Arish.

The reports of the Egyptian raids in Sinai were welcomed in Israel.

"These extremist organisations can harm the entire Middle East, it is not just against Egypt," Amos Gilad, a senior defence ministry official, told Israeli radio.

The bodies from Sunday's attack have not yet been identified, but security officials blame Bedouin militants and Palestinian Islamists from Gaza.

Sunday's attack presented a challenge to Morsi, whose Muslim Brotherhood has good relations with the Hamas rulers of the Gaza Strip.

Morsi has received both Hamas's chief and its prime minister in Gaza, Ismail Haniya, in visits, along with Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas, and his government had eased border restrictions on Gaza.

After Sunday's attack, Egypt indefinitely closed its Rafah crossing with Gaza, the Palestinian territory's only access to the outside world that is not controlled by Israel.

The enclave has been under a semi-blockade by Israel since Hamas seized it in 2007.

After president Hosni Mubarak's ouster in February 2011, militants stepped up attacks in Sinai, prompting the military, then in charge, to send reinforcements to the peninsula.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US renews travel warning to Mindanao
    US renews travel warning to Mindanao

    The US State Department renewed its warning about the risks of travel to the Philippines, in particular to the Sulu archipelago, certain regions and cities of Mindanao and the southern Sulu Sea area. In an update on Wednesday of a travel warning it issued Nov. 20, 2014, the State Department said US citizens should continue to defer non-essential travel to the Sulu archipelago due to the high threat of kidnapping of international travelers and violence linked to insurgency and terrorism there. …

  • Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda
    Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda

    The Philippine initiative to put the interests of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) front and center in global and regional trade has made significant progress following the conclusion on Thursday of the 2nd APEC Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM2) and Related Meetings in Boracay, Aklan. Called “The Boracay Action Agenda to Globalize MSMEs,” the Philippine proposal calls for a host of specific, concrete and practical interventions that APEC economies can implement to provide MSMEs wider …

  • Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week
    Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week

    The Philippines will join a 15-nation meeting in Bangkok, Thailand next week to address the migration crisis involving thousands of Rohingyas who escaped persecution in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima bared this yesterday after meeting with United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) representative to the Philippines Bernard Kerblat. In an interview, De Lima said the Philippine government has been invited to the meeting. …

  • Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon
    Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon

    LEGAZPI CITY—A magnitude 4.2 earthquake hit Prieto Diaz town in Sorsogon before dawn yesterday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said. …

  • Drought-resistant rice breeds bared
    Drought-resistant rice breeds bared

    SCIENCE CITY OF MUÑOZ, Nueva Ecija – Amid the searing heat, the Philippine Rice Research Institute central experiment station here has identified nine rice breeds which have been proven to be drought-resistant and produce high yields in temperatures as high as 38°C based on a recent study. Thelma Padolina, lead researcher of the study titled “Screening of rice-induced mutants for heat and drought tolerance,” identified the breeding lines as the Ballatinaw lines, PSB Rc72H and Azucena lines. …

  • Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning
    Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning

    The United States military will continue air and sea patrols in international waters even after the Chinese navy repeatedly warned a US surveillance plane to leave the airspace over artificial islands China is creating in the disputed South China Sea. The Philippine government also declared it would continue activities in the region, calling on China to respect freedom of navigation and aviation. “Our position on the importance of letting freedom of navigation, freedom of aviation and …

  • MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned
    MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned

    Electricity and mobile phone services would be cut throughout Metro Manila, and all private and government offices and businesses, including shopping malls, would be closed. That would be the situation on July 16 between 3 and 8 p.m. to simulate the scenario of a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has warned that an earthquake of that magnitude could occur and kill at least 33,500 people and injure at least 113,600 others following a …

  • Subaru XV now priced among sedans
    Subaru XV now priced among sedans

    Motor Image Philipinas (MIP), the authorized distributor of Subaru in the country, has positioned its brand new crossover SUV, the Subaru XV, well within the sedan segment’s price range. This move, according to MIP, was made to give the public an opportunity to experience the brand’s unique automotive technologies by lowering its price. Buyers of […] The post Subaru XV now priced among sedans appeared first on Carmudi Philippines. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options