Egypt rushes out new charter amid turmoil over Morsi powers

A divisive panel boycotted by liberals and Christians was set to vote on a draft new Egyptian constitution, amid mounting protests over President Mohamed Morsi's assumption of sweeping powers.

Morsi insisted in a magazine interview Wednesday that he will surrender his controversial new powers once a new constitution is in place, hoping to assuage the growing anger among people who thought their role in the Arab Spring nearly two years ago would bring a new era of democracy.

Morsi dismissed criticism of his power grab and said the protests on the streets of Cairo were a positive sign that Egypt is indeed on the path to democracy after overthrowing dictator Hosni Mubarak in February 2011.

"The world stage is very difficult. It's not easy to be on the world stage," admitted Morsi, who won a cliffhanger election in June, speaking briefly in English at the start of an interview with Time magazine.

"If we had a constitution, then all of what I have said or done last week will stop," he said, wiping his hands to stress his point. "I hope, when we have a constitution, what I have issued will stop immediately," he added.

Morsi's remarks amounted to a plea to the international community for patience after his decision to grant himself sweeping powers until the new constitution is ratified in a referendum.

Asked about warnings from critics that he wants to become a new pharaoh, Morsi repeated "New pharaoh?" disbelievingly, before letting out a big laugh. "Can I be?" he asked incredulously. "I've been suffering, personally."

The Islamist leader just last week gave the constituent assembly an additional two months to complete its work.

But as the top court went on strike over his power grab, the panel wrapped up its deliberations and readied for a vote among its members, its chief Ahmed Darrag said.

The official MENA news agency reported that the panel would vote on the draft on Thursday morning. It will then be put to a referendum.

The head of the Islamist-dominated panel, Hossam al-Gheriani, urged the liberal, leftist and Coptic Christian members who walked out to "come back and finish the discussion on Thursday".

"Tomorrow will be a great day," Gheriani said.

The surprise move came in the face of deep rifts over the constituent assembly, which critics have slammed for failing to represent all Egyptians.

Anger was exacerbated following the decree by Morsi granting himself sweeping powers and barring the courts from dissolving the panel.

The Supreme Constitutional Court had been due to review the legality of the drafting committee on Sunday, but its fate hangs in the balance amid the constitutional vacuum created by Morsi's decree.

Human rights groups have criticised the move to rush through the constitution.

"This is not a healthy moment to be pushing through a constitution because this is an extremely divisive moment," Human Rights Watch Egypt director Heba Morayef told AFP.

"Human rights groups have very serious concerns about some of the rights protections in the latest drafts we've seen," she said.

The court's strike action has put Morsi's decisions beyond judicial scrutiny and protesters have flocked back to Cairo's Tahrir Square, epicentre of the protest movement that toppled Mubarak in February 2011.

Tens of thousands protested in the square on Tuesday, in the largest opposition rally since Morsi's election in June.

The Muslim Brotherhood and Islamist allies have called their own protest in Tahrir for Saturday.

Clashes between police and protesters raged on Wednesday with the two sides exchanging volleys of tear gas and stones.

The outskirts of the square have seen sporadic skirmishes for nine days since a protest was begun to mark the first anniversary of deadly confrontations with police.

Morsi's decree helped consolidate the long-divided opposition, with former UN nuclear watchdog chief Mohamed ElBaradei and ex-Arab League chief Amr Mussa uniting with former presidential candidates in the face of Morsi and the powerful Muslim Brotherhood, on whose ticket the president ran for office.

The Brotherhood and the secular-leaning opposition had stood side by side in Tahrir Square in 2011 as they fought to bring down veteran strongman Mubarak and his regime.

But since Mubarak's ousting, the Islamist movement has been accused of monopolising politics and backtracking on a promise not to field a candidate for the presidency.

Morsi's Freedom and Justice Party says his temporary measures are aimed at speeding up a seemingly endless transition.

US officials said Washington was closely following the drama unfolding in Egypt, with a warning that Cairo could put vast amounts of international aid at stake if it veers off the democratic course.

But the International Monetary Fund said on Tuesday that Egypt can still access a $4.8 billion loan agreed last week as long as there is "no major change" in its reform commitments.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

  • SE Asia Stocks-Philippine falls on foreign selling; others flat to weaker

    BANGKOK, April 17 (Reuters) - Southeast Asian stock markets ended flat to weaker on Friday as Philippine stocks slid on selling led by foreign funds and Singapore shares extended losses with investors ... …

  • Philippine Airlines parent says back in black
    Philippine Airlines parent says back in black

    Philippine Airlines' parent firm said it had returned to profitability, the first time in three years either entity reported being in the black for an entire year. In a filing with the Philippine Stock Exchange Thursday, PAL Holdings reported an after-tax net profit of 129.74 million pesos ($2.93 million) in its fiscal year to December 31. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options