Ely Buendia Not Joining ‘The Voice’ PH

MANILA, Philippines - Ely Buendia is not a judge on franchised singing contest "The Voice" on ABS-CBN.

The former vocalist of Eraserheads who has a new band, The Oktaves, said that the rumor about his participation in the show actually caught him by surprise.

"Hindi totoo yun. Hindi ko alam kung papaano nangyari yun. Wala ngang lumalapit sa amin. Tapos nagkakalat ng ganun. Wala akong kaalam-alam dun," said Ely at the launch of The Oktaves album on Feb. 17.

If it were offered to him, Ely said he might not have accepted it anyway.

"Hindi ko alam kasi parang hindi ko kaya yung ganung klaseng trabaho na mag-appear sa TV. Hindi ko lang eksena yung ganun. Siguro merong ibang taong mas mahusay para dyan."

Ely stressed that he doesn't see himself watching and passing-on judgment or even mentoring contestants.

What Ely is an expert of, as Pinoy music aficionados know from his past achievements, is making music and putting up bands like The Oktaves. This latest endeavor also means additional work load for Ely who is juggling time between his solo shows and the band Pupil already. Future mall tours or shows of The Oktaves only make his chances of joining "The Voice," if ever, bleak.

So how does Ely manage his work load given his heart condition? He and his band members have different managers to take care of their respective schedules.

"Jingle ang pahinga," Ely said in jest. "So far wala naming banggaan, we make it a point na di naman ganung ka busy, tama lang."

Ely's number one priority when it comes to accepting gigs is that these shouldn't compromise his health meaning "dapat huwag akong masyadong mapagod."

The other members of Oktaves are Nitoy Adriano (formerly of The Jerks) and Chris Padilla, Bobby Padilla and Ivan Garcia (all from Hilera). Hilera collaborated with Ely and the late Francis Magalona in " In Love and War" as well as in the film "The Asiong Salonga Story."

"In many ways, ibang genre siya. Pero kung isipin mo rin medyo parang bumalik lang ako sa dati kong ginagawa with the Eheads kasi kung di ninyo naitatanong, yung Eheads noon, we started as a Garage Band - punk, rock and roll, rockabilly and country. Nag-move lang kami sa pop when we signed with a major recording label," said Ely.

"The Oktaves" features the tracks "Gone Gone Gone," "Hold On Tight," the carrier single "Walang Magawa," "Olivia," "Get You," "Paakyat Ka Pa Lang Pababa Ma Ako," (their second single released) "Ikot," "Detox," "Standing On My Own," "Bungo Sa Bangin" and "Langit Express."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • US ambassador slashed in Seoul attack
    US ambassador slashed in Seoul attack

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was slashed on his face and arm by a blade-wielding assailant shouting anti-war slogans in an attack in Seoul Thursday, police and reports said. The United States strongly condemned the "act of violence" which left the ambassador bleeding profusely as he was rushed to hospital, and said that President Barack Obama had spoken with him. "The President called (Lippert) to tell him that he and his wife Robyn are in his thoughts and prayers, and to …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options