THE number of Covid-19 active cases in Cebu City as of September 8, 2021 was already below 2,000, according to the Emergency Operation Center (EOC).
Data from the Department of Health (DOH)-Central Visayas, however, showed 3,394 active cases as of September 8.
Councilor Joel Garganera, deputy chief implementer of the EOC, said earlier that data from DOH were usually delayed in updating, thus the difference in the number of cases.
He said that based on EOC’s data only 1,915 Covid-19 patients have remained in hospitals, barangay isolation centers, and quarantine facilities accredited by the DOH.
He said a total of 35,920 Covid-19 patients have already recovered out of the 39,118 individuals who contracted the coronavirus. At least 1,283 patients have died.
In August this year, Cebu City recorded more than 4,200 active cases of Covid-19 and 281 deaths.
Garganera said despite the drop in the number of active cases, the public should still continue to practice and observe the health protocols, especially that Cebu City is now under the less restrictive general community quarantine status.
The EOC data also showed that in the past 10 days, Cebu City logged 1,784 cases, with 181 additional infections recorded on September 8 alone.
The Cebu City Government, through its cluster clinics and contact tracing teams, has so far swabbed 392,523 individuals since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic in March 2020. (PAC/LMY)