Executive Secretary Vic Rodriguez denies resignation rumors

·Contributor
·2 min read
Executive Secretary Vic Rodriguez, then spokesperson of President Ferdinand
Executive Secretary Vic Rodriguez, then spokesperson of President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr, speaks during a press conference at the campaign headquarters in Manila on May 11, 2022. (Photo by JAM STA ROSA/AFP via Getty Images)

Executive Secretary Vic Rodriguez has denied claims that he had resigned in the Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s cabinet on the night of July 20.

Earlier Friday, rumors of Rodriguez’s resignation circulated around social media, the real reason for which is still unknown.

Malacañang Press Secretary Trixie Cruz-Angeles initially said that she “cannot confirm” whether Rodriguez had indeed resigned or not, but later on denied the rumor.

Afterwards, Rodriguez denied the allegations and posted in his social media account photos of him with the Malacañang Press Corps, and said that he did not know where the rumors came from.

“[A]ll of us in the Cabinet, regardless of the portfolio that we are holding or handling, I think it must be clear that the moment he or she accept the nomination and request coming from the president, by the president, to help him serve and run the country, I think automatic ‘yun,” Rodriguez said.

“The moment you said yes, automatic na rin na tinanggap mo na rin (to accept) that anytime you will be asked to leave. But until that happens then you stay, di ba (right)?” he added.

The Marcos campaign spokesperson-turned-Executive Secretary even said that he had already known full well that they will always be hounded with fake news and disinformation, and no government official should be made to explain based on untrue things.

“As you know, we are being followed and hounded by fake news as early as the campaign. And I think it will continue that way for as long as he [Marcos Jr.] is the President,” he said.

“We will only explain things that are coming from verifiable source[s]. But I know you understand too, if it’s a fake news or bordering on chismis or Marites, I don’t think it is proper for anyone, whether a government functionary or an ordinary person to be asked and made to explain,” Rodriguez further pointed out.

Meanwhile, Rodriguez also dismissed claims that he has been asking for P100 million in exchange for government appointments and nominations, calling the amount “fantastic.”

Marvin Joseph Ang is a news and creative writer who follows developments on politics, democracy, and popular culture. He advocates for a free press and national democracy. Follow him on Twitter at @marvs30ang for latest news and updates.

Watch more videos on Yahoo:

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting