Iran, powers agree in-depth Baghdad talks next month

Iran and world powers agreed in talks Saturday to a more in-depth meeting in Baghdad on May 23 where, Western nations warned Tehran, hard work needed to be done to ease fears it wants the bomb.

EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said there had been "constructive and useful" talks with Iranian chief negotiator Saeed Jalili and said this was a "process which, if it is to be successful, will have to be sustained."

"I have been very clear in my discussions with Dr. Jalili, and he has understood and agreed, that we are looking for the next meeting to take us forward in a very concrete way," she told reporters.

The talks on Saturday in Istanbul involved the so-called P5+1 grouping -- the United States, Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany -- and Iran.

The UN Security Council has imposed four rounds of sanctions on Iran because of suspicions that its civilian nuclear programme is a cover for a secret atomic weapons drive, a charge Iran vigorously denies.

The international community's main concern, particularly for Iran's arch foe Israel, is Tehran's growing capacity to enrich uranium, which can be used for peaceful purposes but, when purified further, for a nuclear weapon.

Echoing Ashton, other Western countries stressed the need for the Baghdad discussions to get to the core of the international community's almost decade-old standoff with the West over its nuclear programme.

The White House hailed the "positive attitude" from Iran and world powers on Saturday -- but Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes reiterated Washington's call for Tehran to take "concrete steps".

British Foreign Secretary William Hague was also cautious, saying in a statement the Istanbul talks "were a first step towards that objective, but there is still a long way to go."

"We now need agreement on urgent, practical steps to build confidence around the world that Iran will implement its international obligations and does not intend to build a nuclear weapon," he added.

France took a similar position.

"Iran has to make urgent and concrete gestures to establish confidence," French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said in a statement issued in Paris.

Jalili for his part praised the "desire of the other side for dialogue and cooperation. We consider that as a positive sign... For the Iranian people the language of threat and pressure doesn't work."

The last time Iran met with the P5+1 in Istanbul in January 2011, it quickly became apparent the talks would go nowhere.

This time however, diplomats said Tehran's delegation had come with a much more constructive attitude.

"What was very striking as soon as Jalili started talking was that there was a difference in tone, in mood," one envoy said, seeing in this a "clear sign that Iran... wants to get into a serious process."

Of special concern has been Iran's formerly secret Fordo site in a mountain bunker near the holy city of Qom which is enriching to 20-percent purity but, experts say, could be reconfigured to produce 90-percent weapons-grade material.

Fordo's expansion -- and a major UN atomic agency report in November on alleged "weaponisation" efforts -- have led to tighter EU and US sanctions on Iran's oil sector, due to bite this summer, as well as talk of Israeli military strikes.

Whether a second round of talks would succeed remains to be seen, however. Iran is likely to insist on the right to a peaceful nuclear programme while demanding sanctions be eased.

What happened Saturday "cannot be called a breakthrough. If there is a breakthrough, it would come at the next meeting," Bruno Tertrais, senior research fellow at the Foundation for Strategic Research in Paris, told AFP.

"It is only when both sides have agreed on the next steps... and when whatever Iran will agree to can be verified, that we will be able to say for certain that something real has happened.

"Until then it's only talk," he said.

US President Barack Obama, seeking re-election in November, in particular is wary of accusations that he has been duped by empty Iranian promises that just buy Tehran more time to inch closer to getting the bomb.

At the same time all parties in the talks, not least energy-hungry China, want the crisis resolved in order to bring down oil prices to help the stuttering global economy.

In a reminder, however, of Tehran's enmity towards Washington, a source close to Iran's delegation said they had spurned a request from their US counterparts for what would have been a rare bilateral meeting on the sidelines in Istanbul.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Pagasa: Drought may worsen
    Pagasa: Drought may worsen

    The drought in 12 already dry areas in the country is expected to worsen as the summer season peaks next month, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. In an advisory, PAGASA said the provinces of Albay, Bataan, Batangas, Biliran, Cavite, Cebu, Ilocos Norte, Leyte, Misamis Occidental, Pampanga, Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur will continue to receive “way below” or “below normal” rainfall in May. PAGASA defines …

  • Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea
    Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea

    The military has advised its pilots conducting surveillance in the West Philippine Sea to exercise maximum restraint even if they are being bullied by Chinese troops. Armed Forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala said all actions of the pilots should be consistent with the declaration of conduct signed by claimant countries. Armed Forces public affairs chief Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said the Philippines should remain on moral high ground when it comes to the territorial dispute. A …

  • MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami
    MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami

    The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) yesterday led the annual rescue march from Quezon City to Manila, giving rescue volunteers a glimpse of possible scenarios if the metropolis is hit by a strong quake or is inundated by a tsunami. Cora Jimenez, MMDA general manager, said 700 volunteer rescuers walked from the Quezon City memorial circle to the Bonifacio monument in front of the Manila city hall to simulate a response-exercise to a magnitude 7.2 earthquake. Renato Solidum, …

  • Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean
    Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean

    Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario bared yesterday before the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) reports of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) threat to the Philippines through the Black Flag Movement in Mindanao. Speaking before ASEAN foreign ministers, Del Rosario said the ISIS threat to Philippine security is real rather than imagined because of the Black Flag Movement’s pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. …

  • ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’
    ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’

    China’s occupation and buildup of its military structures in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea is causing the country’s top energy official to get the jitters as the encroachment is seen as a huge dent on the Philippines’ efforts to achieve energy security. “It is a concern but if we don’t bring it to the United Nations, where will we bring it? We cannot bang heads with them,” Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla told The STAR in an interview over the weekend. The US Energy …

  • Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control
    Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control

    The Philippines yesterday urged the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to unite and stop China’s massive reclamation in disputed waters as it will give China “de facto control” over the area and cause $100 million in marine wealth losses annually. At the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting here, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario told his counterparts that the situation in West Philippine Sea had worsened just a year after the Philippines began to draw international …

  • Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip
    Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip

    The government has allotted about P11.8 million for President Aquino’s attendance at the 26th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia from April 26 to 28. “President Aquino’s participation to the 26th ASEAN Summit is important as the region gears toward the creation of an ASEAN community, which is envisioned to provide new opportunities for the peoples of this region, including the Philippines,” Ochoa said in a statement. He was with …

  • Mary Jane: Shun drugs, get legit recruiters
    Mary Jane: Shun drugs, get legit recruiters

    As Mary Jane Veloso held on to vestiges of hope that her life might be spared, she thanked Filipinos for their support and had some pieces of advice.  Efforts to save Veloso from the firing squad continued after Indonesian authorities issued the notice of execution to the Filipina worker who had written four letters – including one for President Aquino – expressing hope that justice will prevail and her gratitude to her countrymen. Veloso’s relatives arrived in Nusa Kambangan Island on …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options