No detention, just simple admonition for Aguirre

(UPDATE 2) No, he won't endure a day full of Senator Miriam Santiago's speech.

This, as the impeachment court on Tuesday opted not to impose penalty on private prosecutor Vitaliano Aguirre who was cited in contempt for “disrespect” of the court.
 
“In view of the unusual circumstances surrounding the incident, the impeachment court, although there is evidence of an act that may be considered contemptuous of the court, will not impose a penalty on Atty. Aguirre,” Senate Juan Ponce Enrile said.
 
Enrile said the court will simply admonish Aguirre to be more careful with his conduct as a member of prosecution panel.
 
The private prosecutor was cited for contempt last week by the impeachment court when he covered his ears while Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago was lecturing the prosecution team.
 
Enrile noted that Santiago was not present during the caucus, and that the ruling was decided by a consensus of the senator-judges.
 
“It will be better not to impose penalty in order not to create further friction in the course of the trial as well as to quiet the issue already,” he explained.

The prosecution team, however, already filed a letter on Monday stating Aguirre’s withdrawal of appearance as senior private prosecutor for Chief Justice Renato Corona’s impeachment trial.

Though she was not present during the ruling, Santiago said she agrees with the decision of the impeachment court not to impose penalty on Aguirre.

“Justice has been done, and honor has been satisfied. We want to preserve the dignity of the court. We want to correct misbehavior. It is not punitive or vindictive. So that is the correct penalty,” Santiago told reporters after the caucus.

She added that she agrees with the penalty since Aguirre has already shown “the proper spirit of contrition.”

Santiago, however, derided the protest conducted by Aguirre’s supporters outside the Senate on Tuesday morning.

“I must say that I was underwhelmed. I was elected by millions of Filipinos. I am not likely impressed by about 50 people,” she said.

'Hero Aguirre'

Family and friends of Atty. Vitaliano Aguirre meanwhile gathered outside the Senate to show support for the private prosecutor whom they consider as their "hero."
 
Some 40 members of the group called “Mulanay Light Bringers Club,” who mostly came from Aguirre’s hometown in Quezon, showed up at the Senate hours before the senator-judges would decide on his penalty.
 
The private prosecutor was cited for contempt last week by the impeachment court when he covered his ears while Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago was lecturing to the prosecution team.
 
The protesters were wearing shirts printed with Aguirre’s face and his infamous gesture of covering his ears. Below the image was a phrase “Igalang ang dignidad ng tao” while at the back of the shirts was “Atty. Vitaliano Aguirre, My hero.”
 
They also had tarpaulins bearing the words “Suporta at pakikiisa kay Atty. Vitaliano Aguirre. Bigyan ng respeto ang dignidad ng tao.”
 
Aguirre’s younger sister, Naomi Aguirre-Garland, defended his brother, saying that what he did was right.
 
The private prosecutor’s son, Atty. Andrew, added that his father covered his ears “to protect himself from verbal abuse.”
 
The two also expressed their disappointment over Santiago. Andrew said he believes that the feisty senator-judge “violated judicial ethics.”
 
“Yung mga sigaw-sigaw niya hindi na tama kasi pare-pareho naman silang mga lawyer. Para silang bata (prosecutors) kung pagsalitaan nya,” Garland said of Santiago.
 
Aguirre’s supporters said they were willing to spend a night outside the Senate should the senators decide to detain him.
 
Meanwhile, the prosecution team on Monday filed a letter to the court on Aguirre’s withdrawal of appearance as senior private prosecutor for Chief Justice Renato Corona’s impeachment trial.
 
Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile earlier said that he agrees with Aguirre’s resignation, saying that the private prosecutor already proven himself as “ineffective.”

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post
    Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post

    After nearly a year, President Aquino finally made good his promise to a long-time ally – former Cavite governor and congressman Erineo Maliksi – to head the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), replacing Margarita Juico who resigned in May 2014. Maliksi must be officially elected by the PCSO board members as their chairman. Prior to his appointment to the PCSO, Maliksi faced graft charges before the Sandiganbayan in connection with the alleged illegal purchase of P2.5 million worth …

  • US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense
    US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense

    A massive deployment of aircraft, personnel and warships characterizes this year’s Balikatan between the two allies, which war games were launched 30 years ago. Commander Lued Lincuna, Philippine Navy public affairs chief, said the Marine Battalion Landing Team-4 (MBLT-4) will link  up with the US 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force. …

  • P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China
    P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China

    With China’s actions threatening to “considerably alter the way of doing business globally,” President Aquino will ask the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to take a united stand against Beijing’s massive reclamation activities and other provocative acts in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea. Aquino will raise the appeal to his ASEAN counterparts when they meet on April 27-28 in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia. Beijing reacted immediately to the plan, saying the …

  • OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism
    OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism

    The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) yesterday backed the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), warning that failure to see the peace process through with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) could open the door to extremism. OIC secretary-general Iyad Bin Amin Madani, who is in the country to rally support for the peace process and the BBL, told reporters at the Senate yesterday that the Philippines should not waste the opportunity to attain lasting peace in Mindanao, especially …

  • Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed
    Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed

    The head of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) is opposing the plan of the Senate to investigate alleged “justice for sale” in the judiciary. In an interview yesterday, IBP national president Vicente Joyas contested the pronouncement of Senate President Franklin Drilon that the Senate Blue Ribbon committee can probe the reported corruption in the judiciary, as it remains part of the scope of the Senate’s investigative power. “The plan of the Senate to push through with the …

  • PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view
    PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view

    The camp of Floyd Mayweather is reportedly charging the Philippine National Police P200,000 for a pay-per-view deal of his fight with Manny Pacquiao, a PNP official said yesterday. Director Danilo Constantino, the PNP’s Chief Directorial Staff, said the cost of the pay-per-view for the fight makes it difficult for the PNP to sponsor the free viewing for its personnel and their dependents at Camp Crame’s multi-purpose center. “We are currently negotiating for the pay-per-view and we ever …

  • No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP
    No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP

    There has been no disruption in the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Alan Purisima was suspended in December 2014, an official said yesterday. PNP officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina is the one signing the PTCFOR cards, PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said. Cerbo, however, could not say when Espina started signing the cards and how many PTCFORs have …

  • HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’
    HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’

    A senior Hong Kong politician is under fire after she accused some Filipina domestic helpers of seducing their male employers, in comments branded “racist” and “offensive” by critics. There are 300,000 maids in Hong Kong, mostly from the Philippines and Indonesia, with concern growing among rights groups over their welfare following a string of abuse cases. But lawmaker Regina Ip, a close adviser to the city’s leader Leung Chun-ying and tipped as a future chief executive, cast the maids as …

POLL

Do you agree with the decision to "admonish" prosecution lawyer Vitaliano Aguirre after his iconic defiant act against Senator-judge Miriam Defensor-Santiago?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options