A father reportedly slashed his own throat in a court dock after being convicted of sexually abusing his daughter.
The man, who has not been named to protect his daughter’s identity and was already serving a prison sentence for other crimes, had smuggled a razor blade into court under his watch, the Leicester Mercury reported.
When he was convicted by a jury of several counts of assault of his six-year-old daughter at Leicester Crown Court the man began to slash at his own throat in the dock.
Custody officers reportedly wrestled him to the ground as his ex-partner shouted: “Go on b****** do it” before he was taken to hospital for treatment.
The defendant, from Leicester, who is in his 30s, was later sentenced to five years in prison to run consecutively to the seven years he is already serving for unrelated burglaries, motoring and other offences – making a total of 12 years.
He did not attend court for the sentencing hearing, the Leicester Mercury reported.
MOST POPULAR TODAY ON YAHOO
- Caught on camera: Massive fight involving 20 people using glass and chairs as weapons breaks out in Leeds bar
- Grandmother who thought she was dying of dementia blew entire £10k life savings – but doctors reveal she was misdiagnosed
- ‘No Shame’: Neighbour fined for offensive ambulance note breaks silence in Twitter rant
- Armed guard resigns after it emerges he ‘hid outside’ during Florida school shooting
- Here’s how much money you need to earn to be happy, according to science
The defendant’s partner, the girl’s mother, was found guilty of child neglect by failing to report to the police what the girl told her about what happened to her, the newspaper reported.
She was apparently in the dock when he slashed himself with the razor and shouted encouragement to “go on” and kill himself.
The court heard that a victim impact report revealed the abuse had left the girl suffering from nightmares, while her schoolwork had also suffered.
But the man’s defence barrister said he had maintained his innocence and was “a mentally fragile and a broken man,” currently on suicide watch in prison.
(Top picture: Getty)