FBI fears more victims from dead 'serial killer'

The FBI is appealing for information about the travels of a suspected serial killer believed to have murdered up to 15 people over more than a decade, after his suicide in jail last weekend.

Israel Keyes is thought to have murdered at least eight people between 2001 and March 2012 when he was arrested, said special agent Eric Gonzalez, of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's office in Anchorage.

Keyes, who died in jail from apparently self-inflicted wounds, lived in Washington state from 2001-2007 and then in Alaska, but he traveled around the country kidnapping, raping and murdering victims, and also robbing banks.

In preparation for his crimes, he buried caches of supplies in a number of locations, including weapons and items to help dispose of his victims' bodies, the FBI said.

The 34-year-old allegedly killed "at least eight, but investigators suspect more," Gonzalez told AFP on Wednesday, adding that, from interviews conducted after his arrest, "their sense was that he possibly (killed) 12-15 people."

"Right now we're looking for information concerning his travels, if anyone may have recognized him," he added.

The FBI appeal, first made on Monday, was already providing some leads. "The media is actually referring cases with similarities to us," he said, without going into details.

Keyes admitted to murdering four people in Washington state: two victims in 2005 and 2006, and a couple some time between 2001 and 2005. He may have abducted them from another state and brought them to Washington, the FBI said.

"Additionally, Keyes admitted to investigators that, in 2009, he murdered a victim on the east coast and disposed of the body in New York State," the statement added, saying the victim was probably abducted in a nearby state.

In interviews with detectives, Keyes "described significant planning and preparation for his murders, reflecting a meticulous and organized approach to his crimes," they said.

"It was not unusual for Keyes to fly into an airport, rent a car and drive hundreds of miles to his final destination," it added.

In preparation for the murder of Bill and Loraine Currier, for example, Keyes flew into Chicago, and then drove in a rented car across several states to Essex, Vermont, where he killed them, the FBI said.

He then continued his travels on the East Coast, before returning to Chicago and then to Alaska.

Police have confirmed his role in at least two bank robberies, saying he used the proceeds, as well as money he made as a general contractor, to finance his travels.

"Keyes buried caches throughout the United States," said the FBI, adding that it had found two such deposits in Eagle River, in Alaska, and Blake Falls Reservoir, in New York.

"The caches contained weapons and other items used to dispose of bodies. Keyes indicated the other caches he buried throughout the US contain weapons, money, and items used to dispose of victims."

Alaska State Troopers meanwhile gave an update on the circumstances of Keyes' death while locked in his cell in Anchorage last Saturday night.

Investigators have "determined that Keyes used a blade from a disposable shaving razor that had been embedded into a pencil to cut himself on the left wrist," they said in a statement.

"Additionally, Keyes had used a length of bedding material from his cell to strangle himself," the statement added, noting that medical examiners were still assessing the exact cause of death.

But it added: "There is no indication of any criminal involvement from other persons. Pages of crumpled, blood soaked paper that appeared to have writing on them were recovered from the cell."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options