'Miscommunication' triggers hijack alert at Amsterdam

Dutch authorities scrambled fighter jets Wednesday after the feared hijacking of an airliner but it turned out to be a false alarm that officials blamed on "miscommunication."

Two F-16 warplanes were sent up to escort the Vueling flight from Malaga to Amsterdam with 180 passengers on board after it entered Dutch airspace without making radio contact.

The first the pilot knew of the unfolding drama was when the fighter jets buzzed him, prompting him to ask: "Are we being hijacked?", the Dutch NOS public broadcaster reported.

Military police responsible for security at Schiphol airport surrounded the Airbus A320 after it landed but eventually ascertained that everything was normal aboard, a spokesman said.

The alert capped a day of high drama at Europe's fifth-largest airport after workers at an excavation earlier discovered a bomb dating back to World War II, prompting the partial evacuation of one of its busy terminals.

"The report over the hijacking seemed to have been a miscommunication," Dutch police said in a tweet on their official Twitter account after the "hijack" incident.

Spanish airline Vueling said there had been a "momentary loss of communication" between the aircraft and the ground.

"The aeroplane lost communications with Schiphol and above all, it did not completely follow instructions," Dutch national anti-terrorism coordinating agency spokesman Erik Akerboom told the NOS, adding the plane did not stick to its flight plan.

Vueling said in a statement that the Dutch authorities had "seen it fit to activate a security protocol due to the possibility that the safety of the aircraft could have been jeopardised due to a loss of communications".

"Vueling is working with Dutch civil aviation authorities and with Schiphol to gather all the information...," it said, adding "at no time was there any danger to the 180 passengers on board."

Dutch military police spokesman Martijn Peelen told AFP "we received news that a plane headed for the airport was accompanied by two F-16 fighters and no contact was possible. We were obliged to activate certain security protocols."

He said after the Airbus landed at 2:30 pm (1230 GMT) it was approached by hostage negotiators, who were told by the pilot the situation was normal.

Passengers later disembarked and were taken to a terminal by bus, he said.

Dutch media also quoted passengers speaking from inside the plane via mobile phone as denying they had been hijacked.

"There is nothing going on in here," one passenger told the NOS during a live broadcast.

"Once down, the pilot told us there was nothing special going (in the plane) but something was happening at the airport," the passenger added.

Spanish newspaper El Pais said on its website that it was not the first such incident involving a Vueling plane, which previously had to be escorted by a French fighter plane after radio contact was lost.

The alarm came as Schiphol was coping with flight cancellations and delays after workers found a bomb dating back to World War II.

Security personnel evacuated part of Terminal C as a precaution, while explosives experts tackled the bomb, removing it from the airport to allow disposal teams to detonate it safely.

The terminal resumed normal operations by 4.00 pm (1400 GMT).

Between 120,000 and 140,000 passengers pass daily through Schiphol, which was bombed at least twice during the war, first by the Luftwaffe during the German invasion in May 1940 and again by the Allies in December 1943.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

  • SE Asia Stocks-Philippine falls on foreign selling; others flat to weaker

    BANGKOK, April 17 (Reuters) - Southeast Asian stock markets ended flat to weaker on Friday as Philippine stocks slid on selling led by foreign funds and Singapore shares extended losses with investors ... …

  • Philippine Airlines parent says back in black
    Philippine Airlines parent says back in black

    Philippine Airlines' parent firm said it had returned to profitability, the first time in three years either entity reported being in the black for an entire year. In a filing with the Philippine Stock Exchange Thursday, PAL Holdings reported an after-tax net profit of 129.74 million pesos ($2.93 million) in its fiscal year to December 31. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options