Federer, Murray power on at Cincinnati Masters

Four-time champion Roger Federer crushed Alex Bogomolov, of Russia, 6-3, 6-2, leading the world's best players into the third round of the Cincinnati Masters.

World number one Federer -- who has reached the semi-finals or better at 11 of the last 12 ATP events he has played -- was untouchable in his first outing since the Olympics, and will now face Australia's Bernard Tomic.

Federer won the trophy here in 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2010 and is bidding for some personal Masters 1000 history as he chases a fifth title.

The match lasted just an hour as Federer dominated, though he did need two match points and faced -- and saved -- his only break point of the match in the final moments of play.

"It was a good match for me," said the 17-time grand slam champion. "I don't know his game that well, but we played a good match. The switch from grass to hardcourt is difficult.

"This court is faster than Wimbledon and the bounce is really high. It may have gone quickly and there were hardly any rallies, but I was pleased to close it out."

Second seed Novak Djokovic made a scratchy start while Andy Murray motored through as the pair of seeds won their opening matches after first round byes.

Djokovic did not even have the chance to hit on the showcase court after arriving in the midwest US from his post-Olympic title in Toronto at the weekend.

The Serb defeated Italian Andreas Seppi 7-6 (7/4), 6-2, but he was not impressed with his form, dubbing the win "not a great performance," though he improves to a 9-0 record over Seppi, whom he struggled with at Roland Garros in a comeback from two sets down in the fourth round.

"I didn't do anything special out there. I was just trying to get used to conditions, trying to keep the ball on the court and hit one more than my opponent," Djokovic said.

"This happens in every first match, you have to get used to quite different conditions. I came in late from Canada and it feels a lot different here."

Djokovic won in just under 90 minutes, a contest which included a 59-minute opening set in which the second seed needed four set points to take the lead.

But the Serb stepped it up in the second as he ran out the winner with 21 winners against 22 unforced errors.

Djokovic will line up in the third round against Russian veteran Nikolay Davydenko, who beat Florian Mayer of Germany 6-3, 6-3.

Murray, the Olympic gold medalist who played one match last week in Toronto and then quit with a sore knee, showed no sign of injury as he knocked out American Sam Querrey 6-2, 6-4, in just 83 minutes.

"It felt fine," Murray said of his knee. "I moved well today. It was still giving me a little bit of trouble in practice for a couple of days before the tournament, but it felt much, much better. I'm hoping it won't be a problem."

Federer's fellow Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka upset fourth seed David Ferrer 6-4, 6-1.

Argentine sixth seed and former US Open winner Juan Martin del Potro knocked out Germany's Tommy Haas 7-5, 6-2, But Czech Radek Stepanek returned the favor with his defeat of Argentina's eighth seed Juan Monaco 7-6 (7/2), 6-1.

Mardy Fish, the US 10th seed, beat Argentine Carlos Berlocq 6-3, 6-1.

Croatian 12th seed Marin Cilic put out Jesse Levine 7-5, 7-6 (8/6) and Australian wild card Lleyton Hewitt went down to Serb Viktor Troicki 6-2, 6-0 after not getting to bed until 3 a.m. in his Monday late-night opening win.

In the women's second round, top seed Agnieszka Radwanska dispatched Swede Sofia Arvidsson 6-4, 6-3.

Fourth seed Petra Kvitova defeated German Mona Barthel 3-6, 6-2, 7-5 while number six Caroline Wozniacki hammered Sesil Karatantcheva 6-1, 6-0.

Italy's seventh seed and Roland Garros finalist Sara Errani beat Slovak Daniela Hantuchova 6-4, 6-4.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Pagasa: Drought may worsen
    Pagasa: Drought may worsen

    The drought in 12 already dry areas in the country is expected to worsen as the summer season peaks next month, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. In an advisory, PAGASA said the provinces of Albay, Bataan, Batangas, Biliran, Cavite, Cebu, Ilocos Norte, Leyte, Misamis Occidental, Pampanga, Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur will continue to receive “way below” or “below normal” rainfall in May. PAGASA defines …

  • Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea
    Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea

    The military has advised its pilots conducting surveillance in the West Philippine Sea to exercise maximum restraint even if they are being bullied by Chinese troops. Armed Forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala said all actions of the pilots should be consistent with the declaration of conduct signed by claimant countries. Armed Forces public affairs chief Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said the Philippines should remain on moral high ground when it comes to the territorial dispute. A …

  • MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami
    MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami

    The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) yesterday led the annual rescue march from Quezon City to Manila, giving rescue volunteers a glimpse of possible scenarios if the metropolis is hit by a strong quake or is inundated by a tsunami. Cora Jimenez, MMDA general manager, said 700 volunteer rescuers walked from the Quezon City memorial circle to the Bonifacio monument in front of the Manila city hall to simulate a response-exercise to a magnitude 7.2 earthquake. Renato Solidum, …

  • Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean
    Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean

    Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario bared yesterday before the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) reports of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) threat to the Philippines through the Black Flag Movement in Mindanao. Speaking before ASEAN foreign ministers, Del Rosario said the ISIS threat to Philippine security is real rather than imagined because of the Black Flag Movement’s pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. …

  • ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’
    ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’

    China’s occupation and buildup of its military structures in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea is causing the country’s top energy official to get the jitters as the encroachment is seen as a huge dent on the Philippines’ efforts to achieve energy security. “It is a concern but if we don’t bring it to the United Nations, where will we bring it? We cannot bang heads with them,” Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla told The STAR in an interview over the weekend. The US Energy …

  • Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control
    Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control

    The Philippines yesterday urged the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to unite and stop China’s massive reclamation in disputed waters as it will give China “de facto control” over the area and cause $100 million in marine wealth losses annually. At the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting here, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario told his counterparts that the situation in West Philippine Sea had worsened just a year after the Philippines began to draw international …

  • Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip
    Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip

    The government has allotted about P11.8 million for President Aquino’s attendance at the 26th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia from April 26 to 28. “President Aquino’s participation to the 26th ASEAN Summit is important as the region gears toward the creation of an ASEAN community, which is envisioned to provide new opportunities for the peoples of this region, including the Philippines,” Ochoa said in a statement. He was with …

  • Mary Jane: Shun drugs, get legit recruiters
    Mary Jane: Shun drugs, get legit recruiters

    As Mary Jane Veloso held on to vestiges of hope that her life might be spared, she thanked Filipinos for their support and had some pieces of advice.  Efforts to save Veloso from the firing squad continued after Indonesian authorities issued the notice of execution to the Filipina worker who had written four letters – including one for President Aquino – expressing hope that justice will prevail and her gratitude to her countrymen. Veloso’s relatives arrived in Nusa Kambangan Island on …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options