Federer ready to reign indoors again

Roger Federer has set his sights on more indoor glory after the Swiss great booked his place in the semi-finals of the ATP Tour Finals at London's O2 Arena.

Federer became the first player to qualify for the last four at this year's season-ending event thanks to a 6-4, 7-6 (7/5) victory over Spain's David Ferrer on Thursday and the world number two looks in ominous form as he eyes a seventh Tour Finals title.

Few players have ever been more at home on the indoor courts than Federer and once again he is thriving under the domed roof of the O2 Arena in south-east London, where he has won the Tour Finals for the last two years.

In total, Federer has won 20 indoor titles during his illustrious career and the 31-year-old admits he is more comfortable than most playing under roofs after growing up on covered tennis courts.

"Indoors I've been very successful over the years. Probably won the most titles indoors, maybe more than all the other guys combined," Federer said.

"The margins actually are smaller indoors normally because a guy can really get hot, can serve well.

"But I think indoors is a natural surface for me. So is clay actually, because those were the two surfaces I grew up on.

"In the summers, I used to play on the clay courts outdoors, and in the winters, I played indoors on carpet, when I was young. I guess this is where it kind of comes through a little bit for me.

"I also had my first success on the tour actually indoors back in Marseille and Rotterdam and Basel and Toulouse.

"Outdoors I'm actually amazed how good I've become in the wind and humidity.

"That, for me, was the tough part, actually becoming a good player in those conditions."

Federer's win over Ferrer clinched his 10th semi-final berth in his last 11 appearances at the season-ending event, leaving him with a dead rubber to come against Juan Martin del Potro on Saturday.

But the 17-time Grand Slam champion has no intention of taking it easy against the Argentine, who stunned Federer in the final of the Basle Open last month.

"I'm playing great. But I see also other players this week playing wonderful tennis," he said.

"Now I'm into the semis, so that's a bit of a relief. I know I've got a chance so we will see how it plays out.

"I can already maybe then work on my game in the next match (against del Potro) looking ahead to the semi-finals, which is a good thing."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options