Ferguson readies faltering United for vital derby

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has said the upcoming clash with Premier League title rivals Manchester City represents the most important derby match of his career.

United will go into the match on the back of a stunning 4-4 draw at home to Everton at Old Trafford here on Sunday that has revived a seemingly moribund title race.

Hours after they'd squandered 3-1 and 4-2 leads, Ferguson's men saw City reduce their lead at the top of the table with a 2-0 win at Wolves that also relegated the Black Country club.

And should City, who earlier this season thrashed United 6-1 in the league before losing 3-2 at home to them in an FA Cup clash, win at their Eastlands ground next Monday, they will return to the summit on goal difference with two games remaining.

"This is definitely the most important derby game I have been involved in," said Ferguson, in charge at Old Trafford since 1986. "It's game on.

"We have given them (City) the initiative, there is no question about that, and it makes next week a decider really.

"We've made it harder for ourselves, as we normally do, we have to go there but we know we are capable of getting a result. We need to get a result now at the Etihad Stadium, there is no question about that, but there is no reason we can't do that.

"There has been an expectancy from City that this could be their title decider but it is our decider too.

"There will be a reaction obviously, there is no question about that. It's a big game next Monday. It's always been a derby game of the highest proportions and this won't be any different."

United twice had a two-goal advantage, only to be undone by some nervous, defending, conceding two goals in the final eight minutes with Nikica Jelavic -- his second of the match -- and South Africa's Steven Pienaar drawing the Toffees level at 4-4.

Jelavic opened the scoring in the 33rd minute only for Wayne Rooney to equalise before the interval against his former club.

Danny Welbeck, Nani and Rooney -- with his 33rd goal of the season and 180th of his United career -- capped a period of three United goals in 13 second-half minutes although Marouane Fellaini's goal briefly made the score 3-2.

"It was a travesty," claimed Ferguson. "Some of our football was fantastic, the goals we scored were great goals.

"But to give away four goals at Old Trafford in a game like that, a game that's so important, I just can't believe it.

"I think it was defensive lapses. Their goals were really soft. We created goals by really good football but they got their goals easy.

"It was terrible defending from us. We've thrown it away, it's as simple as that. We just didn't deal with the balls into Fellaini, it's as simply that. Lack of concentration.

"It could be costly, there is no question about that. We've thrown a game away that we should be coasting and seeing the game out. But we didn't, so we have given ourselves a difficult task."

For Everton manager David Moyes, a superb display was the perfect response to the disappointment of defeat in the all-Merseyside FA Cup semi-final eight days earlier, although he had grounds for complaint after referee Mike Jones allowed United to score a second goal while an Everton player was down injured.

"I thought it was rubbish," said Moyes. "He stopped play for Jonny Evans but referees can do what they want, they can make their own rules up, and I thought he made his own rules up.

"Steven Pienaar was down for their second goal and you would have thought if he was being consistent he would have evened it up there. But he never did and they scored from it. I've got to say, I think the referee was poor."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Philippines urges Southeast Asia to rally to halt China reclamation in disputed waters
    Philippines urges Southeast Asia to rally to halt China reclamation in disputed waters

    The Philippines on Sunday called on neighbouring Southeast Asian nations to push for an immediate halt to China's reclamation in the disputed South China Sea ahead of a regional summit. China claims 90 percent of the South China Sea, which is believed to be rich in oil and gas, with overlapping claims from Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Taiwan. Recent satellite images suggest China has made rapid progress in building an airstrip suitable for military use in contested …

  • President to appeal for Filipina's life at Malaysia summit
    President to appeal for Filipina's life at Malaysia summit

    The Philippine president said Sunday he would appeal for mercy for a Filipina who is due to be executed in Indonesia in two days' time. President Benigno Aquino said he would take the opportunity to seek clemency for Mary Jane Veloso, who is due to be put to death on Tuesday, while in Malaysia for a regional summit Monday. "Once I am there, I will try to speak to President Joko Widodo of Indonesia to appeal once more for her case," Aquino said. She was arrested in 2009 with 2.6 kilograms …

  • Beijing poised for 'de facto control' of S.China Sea: Philippines
    Beijing poised for 'de facto control' of S.China Sea: Philippines

    Beijing is poised to take "de facto control" of the South China Sea, the Philippines warned on Sunday as it called on fellow Southeast Asian countries to "finally stand up" to their massive neighbour. Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia and Brunei claim parts of the strategic South China Sea, but Beijing claims nearly all of it and its increasingly strident assertions of its territorial ambitions have caused concern in the region and beyond. "(China) is poised to consolidate de facto control …

  • Philippines urges ASEAN to stop China in South China Sea

    KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — The Philippines on Sunday urged the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations to take immediate steps to halt land reclamation by China in the disputed waters of the South China Sea, warning that failure to do so will see Beijing take "de facto control" of the area. …

  • Indonesia defiant as UN leads condemnation of looming executions
    Indonesia defiant as UN leads condemnation of looming executions

    Indonesia on Sunday signalled it was determined to push ahead with the execution of eight foreign drug convicts, despite a growing wave of global condemnation led by United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon. Authorities on Saturday gave formal notice to the eight -- from Australia, Brazil, Nigeria and the Philippines -- that they would be executed by firing squad imminently, along with an Indonesian prisoner. The group have been moved to the high-security prison island of Nusakambangan, where …

  • U.N. chief appeals to Indonesia not to carry out executions
    U.N. chief appeals to Indonesia not to carry out executions

    United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon appealed to Indonesia on Saturday not to execute 10 prisoners, including two Australians, for drug-related crimes. Indonesia has so far informed seven of the 10 death row inmates, including the Australians and one Nigerian, that they will be executed in a matter of days, possibly as soon as Tuesday. Nationals from Brazil, Ghana and the Philippines are also on Indonesia's death row. A temporary reprieve was granted to a French citizen who will not …

  • AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys
    AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys

    The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is adopting a wait and see approach amid reports that China will soon deploy seaplanes to further strengthen its maritime claims in the disputed Spratlys. Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala, spokesman for the military and commander of the AFP Civil Relations Service, said they have yet to ascertain the real purpose behind China’s continuing aggressive moves in the region. “We will wait and see before coming up with an official stand,” Kakilala said when …

  • US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations
    US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations

    The United States has asked for access to Philippine military bases in eight locations to rotate troops, aircraft and ships as Washington shifts its forces to Asia and as China expands its military presence in the South China Sea. US Defense Secretary Ash Carter, in a speech in Arizona, has outlined Washington’s next phase in its Asia “pivot,” deploying its most sophisticated destroyers, bombers and fighters to the region. The Asia “pivot” has already seen US Marines rotating through the …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options