Filipino comedian improving, but remains in intensive care

Manila (Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN) - Philippines' Comedy King Dolphy ¿has been cleared of pneumonia, but has developed infection in his body," his family said on Wednesday.

¿His vitals have continued to improve but he remains in the ICU (intensive care unit)," said Dr. Eric Nubla Jr., head of director-patient relations of the Makati Medical Center in Metro Manila, where the comedian has been confined for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) since last week.

Nubla said the ¿good news¿ was that the 83-year-old comedian has become lucid and could now respond to his family by nodding his head and raising his eyebrows.

Dolphy has also been able to ¿wince, grimace and squeeze¿ the hands of his loved ones and to ¿mouth some words and smile."

¿These are all good signs. However, because of his tracheostomy he still could not speak or eat," Nubla told reporters at the MMC. ¿He still has blood transfusion and dialysis was still being administered to him."

Asked of the possibility of Dolphy being removed from the ICU, the doctor said ¿it¿s still hard to speculate." He pointed out that these signs could also mean Dolphy would be weaned of his respirator soon.

¿He is responding to treatment. He has support of dialysis and transfusions and that goes to show things are under control," Nubla said.

¿First we continue with our prayers, second the doctors are doing their best and the patient is responding well so there¿s a lot to be grateful for," he added.

The comedian¿s family has maintained a strict policy on visitation, Nubla reported. He explained that the family ¿did not want to lose gains it had achieved¿ since Dolphy was very susceptible to infection. ¿His doctors are doing everything they can (for the comedian)."

In a radio interview, Dolphy¿s son, former actor Rolly Quizon, said a tabloid reporter caused a commotion at the hospital on Monday night after attempting to take a photo of the comedian at the ICU.

But Nubla denied any knowledge of this incident. ¿You must understand that Mr. Quizon (Dolphy) has been confined for two weeks now and his family is already tired. The ICU is a restricted area. There are reasons that require (the hospital) to be strict. First, the patient needs peace and quiet. Another is because the patient is immunocompromised."

Nubla added that most of Dolphy¿s visitors could only see him through a glass window.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. In a brief despatch, North Korea's official KCNA news …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options