England thrash N. Zealand to win ODI series

Devastating bowling from Steven Finn and a solid top-order batting display gave England a five wicket win over New Zealand in the deciding one-day international at Eden Park on Saturday to claim the series 2-1.

After New Zealand were dismissed for an unchallenging 185 in an innings that ended 37 balls short of their 50 overs, England overhauled the target in a rapid 37.3 overs.

The victory gives England a psychological boost going into the first Test on March 6 after earlier winning the Twenty20 series 2-1.

Following the early dismissal of Ian Bell for 24, Alastair Cook (46) and Jonathan Trott (38) made the most of the flat track and short boundaries at Eden Park to effortlessly carve out a 67-run second-wicket partnership.

After they fell in quick succession, Joe Root (not out 28) and Eoin Morgan (39 off 24) put on 56 for the fourth wicket before Morgan departed, caught by a leaping Kyle Mills on the boundary.

Jos Buttler came and went for three leaving Chris Woakes (not out three) to bat out the innings with Root whose undefeated stand lifted his average to an impressive 81.50 after eight ODI innings.

The match had belonged to England from the time Cook won the toss, elected to bowl and watched the New Zealand batting line up crumble.

They struggled against the pace and accuracy of Finn and James Anderson and were 67 for five after 25 overs while England at the same stage were untroubled at 120 for three.

Ian Bell set the early pace reaching 24 off 22 balls before he top-edged Andrew Ellis to Hamish Rutherford at deep square leg.

Tim Southee claimed Trott and Cook in the space of six balls in his second spell, both caught behind by BJ Watling who stood in as gloveman after Brendon McCullum suffered a sidestrain during his innings.

McCullum was again the standout performer with the bat for New Zealand, cracking 79 from 68 balls after his side had been firmly on the backfoot.

Finn at one stage had the remarkable figures of three for 10 off eight overs before McCullum distorted the statistics with two fours and a six in an over that cost England a quick 17 runs.

It was McCullum's third half century in as many matches, following innings of 69 not out and 74 in the first two matches, but he received little support.

Second-match centurion Ross Taylor made 28 after a 53-run partnership with Grant Elliott (24) for the fourth wicket and the only other batsman to reach double figures was James Franklin (13) who gave Graeme Swann his 100th ODI wicket.

Finn ended with the figures of three for 27 off nine overs, while Stuart Broad took two for 38 and Anderson one for 34 as the England bowlers relished the New Zealand wicket.

"Considering that we've just come from three months in India to come here it's nice that there's a bit of bounce and you can hurry batsmen up a little bit," said Finn who is now working off a shortened run up.

"Our job is to take wickets in the first 10 overs and thankfully we've done that in the last couple of games and that's what seems to have pegged New Zealand back early," he said.

England will play a four-day match against a New Zealand XI in Queenstown before the first Test.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel
    Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel

    The $150,000 pearl-studded, custom-made Calvin Klein dress worn by Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o at this year's Academy Awards has been stolen, police said on Thursday. The gown, embellished with 6,000 natural white pearls, was stolen from Nyong'o's room at the London Hotel in West Hollywood, during the day on Wednesday, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in West Hollywood said. "Ms Nyong'o was not in the room at the time of the theft," Deputy John Mitchell …

  • South Korea decriminalises adultery, condom shares soar
    South Korea decriminalises adultery, condom shares soar

    South Korea's Constitutional Court on Thursday struck down a controversial adultery law which for more than 60 years had criminalised extra-marital sex and jailed violators for up to two years. The decision saw shares in the South Korean firm Unidus Corp., one of the world's largest condom manufacturers, soar by the daily limit of 15 percent on the local stock exchange. "Even if adultery should be condemned as immoral, state power should not intervene in individuals' private lives," said …

  • US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians
    US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians

    The US-led coalition has carried out air strikes against the Islamic State group in northeastern Syria, where the jihadists have launched a new offensive and kidnapped 220 Assyrian Christians. The raids on Thursday struck areas around the town of Tal Tamr in Hasakeh province, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, without giving information on possible casualties. The town remains under the control of Kurdish forces, but at least 10 surrounding villages have been seized by IS, along …

  • Militants abduct more Christians, smash ancient artifacts
    Militants abduct more Christians, smash ancient artifacts

    BEIRUT (AP) — Islamic State militants seized more Christians from their homes in northeastern Syria in the past three days, bringing the total number abducted by the extremist group to over 220, activists said Thursday. …

  • U.S. flies most advanced surveillance plane from Philippines

    By Manuel Mogato MANILA (Reuters) - The United States has begun flying its most advanced surveillance aircraft, the P-8A Poseidon, out of the Philippines for patrols over the South China Sea, the U.S. Navy said on Thursday, acknowledging the flights for the first time. The United States, the Philippines' oldest and closest ally, has promised to share "real time" information on what is happening in Philippine waters as China steps up its activities in the South China Sea. China claims most of …

  • Purisima denies endorsing successor
    Purisima denies endorsing successor

    Resigned Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Alan Purisima denied reports that he has been urging President Aquino to appoint his protegé as the new police chief. “Contrary to news reports, PDG Alan La Madrid Purisima is not in any position to recommend and has not in fact recommended anyone to the President for appointment as next chief of the PNP,” his lawyer Kristoffer James Purisima said yesterday. Sources said that Purisima may have resigned but he reportedly remains …

  • IS executioner 'Jihadi John' named as London graduate
    IS executioner 'Jihadi John' named as London graduate

    "Jihadi John", the masked Islamic State group militant believed responsible for beheading of at least five Western hostages, has been named as Kuwaiti-born computing graduate Mohammed Emwazi from London. "Jihadi John", nicknamed after Beatle John Lennon due to his British accent, is believed to be responsible for the murders of US journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff, British aid workers David Haines and Alan Henning and American aid worker Abdul-Rahman Kassig. …

  • ‘Noy angered by previous SAF failures to get Marwan’
    ‘Noy angered by previous SAF failures to get Marwan’

    Supt. Raymund Train, who led the SAF team that killed Marwan in Mamasapano, Maguindanao on Jan. 25, recounted in a sworn statement the meeting he and senior SAF officers had with Aquino in Malacañang on Nov. 30. Train said among the senior officers who attended the meeting were then PNP chief Director General Alan Purisima, SAF chief Director Getulio Napeñas, SAF deputy commander Chief Supt. Noli Taliño and intelligence group chief Senior Supt. Fernando Mendez. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options