Wildfire threatens World Heritage Site on Canary island

A wildfire raged Monday on Spain's Canary Island of La Gomera which burnt down several homes and raced through a national park housing a rare subtropical forest, officials said.

Deep ravines made it difficult to fight the blaze, which erupted on Saturday and has affected 3,100 hectares (7,400 acres) of land, including 350 hectares, or nine percent, of the Garajonay national park, a World Heritage Site.

"The ravines act as genuine chimneys for the fire when the wind blows and this complicates the task of getting the fire under control," the head of the islands' government, Paulino Rivero, told reporters.

By late Monday firefighters, aided by cooler temperatures and higher air humidity levels, had managed to stop the advance of the flames at Garajonay, the regional government said in a statement.

The national park was added to UN cultural body UNESCO's World Heritage list for its rare subtropical forests which covered the Mediterranean millions of years ago but have now largely disappeared.

It is home to 450 plant species, including eight that are found only in the park.

At Igualero, a village inside the park whose residents were evacuated over the weekend, several houses were completely burned down.

The burned down homes were surrouned by charred fruit trees, vineyards and potato crops as well as the dead sheep, goats, chickens and other animals.

Several homes near the town of Vallehermoso had been destroyed, mayor Jaime Luis Noda said.

"We have still not done an evaluation of exactly how many, so we don't know how many," he said.

Mobile telephone services on the island were disrupted as several relay stations had burnt down, power was out in some parts of the island and four roads where shut, the regional government said.

But around 600 people who were evacuated over the weekend, including those at Igualero, were allowed to return to their homes Monday.

Heavy fog on Monday morning prevented two firefighting aircraft sent from mainland Spain from flying but by afternoon the authorities were able to use water-dropping aircraft against the blaze, which has three active fronts.

The authorites suspect arson as the cause of the blaze "because it started in three different places and it is practically impossible for an accident to trigger such a violent fire," he added.

A shepherd on the island of La Gomera, Sebastian Vera Herrera, said many of his sheep were killed by the flames after he ignored police orders to evacuate.

"I guided them to the farm in the hamlet of Magana. Many sheep burned. I managed to save many, about 300 because I stayed," the 58-year-old said.

"This is the first time that I have seen a fire likes this, of this size. There are 200-year-old houses that completely burned down."

Another fire on the neighbouring island of La Palma near the town of Mazo has been stabilised. That blaze had affected about 1,700 hectares.

Spain has been battling fires in both the Canaries and on the mainland after a winter that saw almost no rainfall, leaving the Spanish landscape its driest in seven decades.

On July 22, a wind-whipped wildfire in the northeast province of Catalonia near the border with France scorched 14,000 hectares, claiming four lives.

Spain's most destructive fires so far this year were in the Valencia region in early July, burning some 50,000 hectares of vegetation.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • A trying Heat season now hitting the stretch run
    A trying Heat season now hitting the stretch run

    MIAMI (AP) — To say the Miami Heat have been presented with a new problem every day since last season ended, that would be an exaggeration. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options