Fires destroy 42 houses in 2 Cebu City barangays on Dec. 30-31

·2 min read

TWENTY-THREE fires hit Cebu City 15 days after it was devastated by Typhoon Odette on December 16, 2021.

The latest incidents happened on the last two days of the year in Barangays Quiot and Tisa, destroying nearly P2 million worth of properties after it razed 42 houses in the two urban villages.

These two fires were the 22nd and 23rd fire incidents that have occurred in Cebu City since December 17, after Typhoon Odette (Rai) devastated the city and other parts of Cebu on the evening of December 16.

The first blaze occured in Sitio Obca 1, Barangay Quiot on Thursday evening, December 30. In less than 24 hours, another fire hit Sitio Capaculan, Barangay Tisa. The fires burned at least 40 houses in the two sitios and affected over 100 residents who will meet the New Year's homeless.

Barangay Tisa was also hit by fire seven days ago on Christmas Day, destroying 20 houses in Sitio Mansanitas, affecting 276 individuals--and killing a 26-year-old man with a mental condition who was chained by his parents inside their house.

Investigator Fire Officer 3 Emerson Arceo said the fire damaged around P800,000 of properties in Sitio Obca and P900,000 in Sitio Capaculan.

Obca fire

Arceo said they received the fire alarm in Sitio Obca at 7 p.m. Thursday, December 30.

The fire reportedly started in the house of Janice Concepcion. No one was around when flames broke out. Concepcion, her husband and child were dining outside their house at the time.

Initial investigation showed that a lit candle left inside the house possibly caused the fire that razed 17 houses.

Firefighters controlled the flames from spreading further in the neighborhood at 7:19 p.m. They later declared a fire out at 7:25 p.m.

Capaculan blaze

Past 8 a.m. Friday, December 31, fire destroyed 25 houses in Sitio Capaculan.

Arceo said the fire originated in the house of Roderick Monterola.

Initial investigation showed that a toppled lamp ignited the blaze.

At 8:56 a.m., the Cebu City Fire Office received the fire alarm.

Arceo said they had a hard time putting out the fire as the houses were located on the elevated part of the sitio. Firefighters had to connect hoses to reach the area.

Firefighters controlled the blaze at 9:19 a.m., and they later declared a fire out 12 minutes later. (KAL from BBT)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting