First woman convicted of Bosnia war crimes

A Bosnian Muslim former soldier on Monday became the first woman to be convicted of war crimes by a local court after admitting killing Croat civilians and prisoners during the 1990s war.

"Rasema Handanovic participated with other members of her unit in the executions of three civilians and three soldiers ... The tribunal sentences her to five-and-a-half years in jail," war crimes court judge Jasmina Kosovic said.

The verdict is the first of its kind by the Bosnian war crimes court which has only indicted three women on charges stemming from the 1992-95 inter-ethnic war so far.

The crimes were committed on April 16, 1993, in the village of Trusina, in southern Bosnia. A total of 18 Croat civilians and four prisoners of war were killed at the time.

Handanovic pleaded guilty last week and agreed to testify against other former members of her unit under a plea bargaining agreement, which saw her get a lighter sentence of just five and a half years.

"I committed a crime, but at the time I did not know that it was a crime," Handanovic, who was 21 when she took part in the killings, told the court as she entered her guilty plea last Friday.

Her lawyer emphasized that she herself had also been a victim of war crimes at the start of the bloody conflict in Bosnia.

"She was raped by Serb soldiers, while her partner and other family members were killed," lawyer Senad Kreho told AFP.

After the war she emigrated to the United States and holds both US and Bosnian passports. The 39-year-old was extradited to Bosnia in December.

Handanovic was a member of the Zulfikar special unit, which was under the direct control of the Muslim-led Bosnian army headquarters.

In March and April, Handanovic already appeared as a witness at the trial against her former fellow-fighters. She gave a detailed description of the executions of the six people she participated in and confirmed that other suspects also took part.

Six other members of the unit are currently on trial before local courts for their role in the Trusina killings.

Although allies against the Serbs during most of Bosnia's war, the country's Muslims and Croats fought against each other for 11 months in 1993 and 1994.

Two other women are currently on trial before Bosnia's war crimes court in Sarajevo. Both Albina Terzic, 40, and Marina Grubisc-Fejzic, 44, are former members of Croat forces.

Last December, police detained a Bosnian Serb woman suspected of taking part in the torture of Croat and Muslim prisoners held in a detention camp in Brcko, in northeastern Bosnia.

Monika Simonovic, 37, has not been officially indicted yet.

The first and only woman ever to be convicted by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) is former Bosnian Serb president Biljana Plavsic.

The now 81-year-old pleaded guilty to crimes against humanity and was sentenced to 11 years in jail. She was granted an early release in 2009 and now lives out her days in Belgrade.

In Serbia, a local court in 2009 sentenced Nada Kalaba to nine years in jail for taking part in the 1991 massacre in the eastern Croatian town of Vukovar.

The 1992-1995 Bosnian conflict claimed some 100,000 lives.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

  • Lawmakers split on tax exemption for Pacquiao
    Lawmakers split on tax exemption for Pacquiao

    Colleagues of boxing champion Manny Pacquiao at the House of Representatives backed yesterday a proposal to exempt his earnings from his May 2 fight with American Floyd Mayweather from income tax. Internal Revenue Commissioner Kim Henares has urged Pacquiao to promptly pay taxes on his May 2 earnings, which are projected to reach at least $120 million (more than P5.2 billion). …

  • Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam
    Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam

    Filipinos aspiring to work overseas should avoid dealing with a recruitment agency that has duped jobseekers worldwide, Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said yesterday. The National Bureau of Investigation has padlocked Global Visas Inc., which is based in Cebu. Baldoz said the agency’s parent company, ICS Global Visas Inc. based in the United Kingdom, has reportedly collapsed and left thousands of applicants without jobs.  “Global Visas was in the limelight this week, following its reported …

  • Woman with slain Putin critic says she didn't see his killer
    Woman with slain Putin critic says she didn't see his killer

    MOSCOW (AP) — The 23-year-old Ukrainian model who was with slain opposition leader Boris Nemtsov tearfully recounted Monday their last dinner in a chic Red Square restaurant and their walk onto a nearby bridge — but said she did not see the gunman who pulled the trigger. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options