134 killed in southern Russia floods disaster

Flash floods deluged Russia's southern Krasnodar, killing at least 134 people in the region's worst natural disaster in decades, officials and witnesses said Saturday.

President Vladimir Putin inspected the damage by helicopter and held a brief meeting with local officials in Krymsk amid recriminations from residents who accused the authorities of abandoning them.

Television footage showed torrents of brown flood water gushing along streets in the worst-hit town of Krymsk past blanket-covered bodies.

Residents were caught by surprise by the sheer force of the waters, which ripped up pavements and traffic lights and flooded buildings.

In Krymsk, some people woke in the middle of the night to find water pouring in, trapping them in their homes. One woman had to spend the night up a tree before being rescued.

Authorities estimated that up to 13,000 people had been affected in the Krymsk district.

"Our house was flooded to the ceiling, we could not open the door because of the water, so we broke the window to climb out," Krymsk pensioner Lidiya Polinina told AFP by telephone.

"I put my five-year-old grandson on the roof of our submerged car, and then we somehow climbed up into the attic. I don't know how we managed to survive," she said, adding that they had received no warning or assistance.

"It was like a tsunami!" Putin commented as he was told about the flood by local officials, promising to rebuild the ruined properties.

State television footage showed him speaking with emergency ministry officials, who assured him the flood was not caused by problems at a nearby dam, as alleged by locals.

Officials said at least 123 of the bodies had been recovered in the Krymsk area, including a 10-year-old child, but were unable to explain the scale of the toll there, saying the floods were caused by torrential rains.

Polinina said her elderly neighbour had died after becoming trapped by the flood waters.

"She was paralysed. She couldn't get out of the house," she told AFP.

"Everything has been destroyed," she added. "We need help pumping water out of the house, we have no drinking water."

The town, which has a population of 57,000, lies about 200 kilometres (125 miles) northwest of the Black Sea resort town of Sochi where Russia is hosting the Summer Olympic Games in 2014.

Krymsk was still without power on Saturday. Water marks indicated that the water rose as high as seven metres (22 feet).

Officials said the disaster struck as residents slept after the level of the local Bakanka river rose overnight Friday to Saturday.

"Everything happened at night and very quickly," the regional administration said in a statement.

The Russian Internet was meanwhile abuzz with speculation that the flooding was a man-made catastrophe resulting from the opening of a sluice gate at a mountain reservoir. Authorities denied the reports.

A regional environmental group Environmental Watch on North Caucasus said the level of damage on the ground indicated that the rush of water originated at the dam on the local Naberdzhai river, but could not provide details.

Krasnodar region governor Alexander Tkachev called the theory "nonsensical" and appealed to his Twitter audience to stop spreading "stupid" rumours.

"Some opponents, the opposition, are trying to tell some tales," Tkachev complained to Putin at the meeting in Krymsk, assuring that the dam "is functioning normally."

A Krymsk resident who gave her name as Tatyana told AFP by telephone the disaster struck unexpectedly.

"The water rose very quickly.... It flooded people's ground floors in five to 10 minutes, ripped out pavement kerbs and even pieces of asphalt," she said.

Locals had received no warning from the emergency services, she added.

The resort town of Gelendzhik received five months' worth of rain in 24 hours, the regional administration said.

Russian Railways said it had to suspend train traffic due to "difficult weather conditions" in the area, delaying dozens of trains.

Novorossiisk saw two months' worth of rain in 24 hours.

A team had worked through the night to bring the situation under control at the port, port spokesman Mikhail Sidorov said.

The floods had affected the port's operations and pipeline operator Transneft had informed management that it would halt shipments of crude oil, he added.

Krasnodar regional police said they went on high alert at nightfall to "patrol the streets and protect people's property from looters".

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • 8 of 10 cities most at risk from natural disasters located in Phl – study
    8 of 10 cities most at risk from natural disasters located in Phl – study

    Eight of 10 world cities most exposed to natural hazards are in the Philippines and more than half of the 100 cities most exposed to earthquakes, storms and other disasters are in four Asian nations, according to a research. The study, published on Wednesday by risk analysis firm Verisk Maplecroft, analyzed the threat posed by storms, floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, fires, volcanoes and landslides in more than 1,300 cities. The study found that the 10 cities most at risk are Port Vila in …

  • Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl
    Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy’s biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi’s rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire’s Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometer (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • Miriam bucks house arrest for Enrile
    Miriam bucks house arrest for Enrile

    Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago believes granting Senate Minority Leader Juan Ponce Enrile house arrest, while former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo remains under hospital detention, will violate the equal protection clause of the Constitution. “That’s already a violation of the equal protection of the law,” she said. …

  • UNA hits PNP selection process
    UNA hits PNP selection process

    The United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) hit yesterday the apparent machinations in the selection of the new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief. Navotas Rep. Toby Tiangco, UNA interim president, said the administration and the ruling Liberal Party (LP) are perpetuating the bata-bata or patronage system in the selection process of the police chief. “They will start this by maneuvering the appointment of Gen. Garbo as PNP chief,” said Tiangco, referring to one of the top contenders for PNP …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Pacquiao: Mayweather is the fight of my life
    Pacquiao: Mayweather is the fight of my life

    Manny Pacquiao called his boxing showdown with Floyd Mayweather “the fight of my life” as he got down to work pounding the streets and gym in Los Angeles. On Monday, Pacquiao ran two miles (3.2 km) and shadow-boxed for two rounds, followed by abdominal work and breakfast of steamed rice, scrambled egg, fish and chicken broth. Then he napped until noon and had lunch before heading to trainer Freddie Roach’s Wild Card Gym, which is strictly off-limits to fans and media during Pacquiao’s …

  • An ocean away, Pacquiao's trainer makes some noise from afar
    An ocean away, Pacquiao's trainer makes some noise from afar

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Armed guards patrolling the gym where Manny Pacquiao trains. Stealthy attempts to disrupt Pacquiao's sparring. And a bit of trash talking just to spice things up two months before the big fight. …

  • Ex-crew recognizes photos of sunken Japanese battleship
    Ex-crew recognizes photos of sunken Japanese battleship

    TOKYO (AP) — A former crewmember on a Japanese battleship that sank during World War II said Thursday he recognized photos of wreckage discovered this week off the Philippines by a team led by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options