Focus shifts to star judges, as contestants falter

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Javier Colon's family and friends were so excited when he won the first season of "The Voice," they assured him that he was set for life — and famous.

The 35-year-old musician knew better.

"I never expected that I would be like the next Kelly Clarkson," Colon said, referring to the superstar who got her start on "American Idol." ''Expectations and hopes are different things. Fortunately for me, I've had a lot of experience in the music business — some good ones and some not so good ones — that led me to auditioning for 'The Voice.' I've learned to just not expect much."

More than a year after his win, Colon is without a record contract and still trying to land a breakout hit on the charts. He is just one of the increasing number of singing contest winners who are struggling to find their way after TV success. Among the more recent "Idol" winners who have faltered after capturing the crown are David Cook and Kris Allen; and while runner-up status or even being a top finalist could lead to fame in the early seasons, like with Clay Aiken, Jennifer Hudson and Chris Daughtry, prospects for non-winners have dropped so much that this year, "Idol" stopped offering second-place finishers a guaranteed recording contract.

Last season's "X Factor" winner Melanie Amaro's debut single, released last month, hasn't made much of a dent on radio (though her official album debut is in December), and there are concerns that the most recent "Voice" winner, Jermaine Paul, may end up following the same path as Colon.

It all points to a troubling trend for those who still believe in their original mission from the early days of reality TV.

"That's what the show, at the end of the day, was designed for," said Simon Cowell, a judge and creative force on "American Idol" who has since moved to "The X Factor," which debuts Wednesday on Fox. "Ratings are important, but if you're not producing the goods year on year, then it's sort of pointless making these shows."

At the same time, there's been a noticeable shift in the competition shows' focus. Once content with finding the next Mariah Carey, these days it's more about ... well, Mariah Carey.

Far more ink has been spilled over the new "American Idol" judge's eight-figure salary and the show's revolving judging panel than on last year's winner (Quick: Name him). And the ante is upped repeatedly as new shows pop up all over the television dial — each with its own star-laden list of mentors, coaches and judges.

Over at "The Voice," which also debuted this week, they've made changes for Season 3 they hope will help aspiring artists shine through. The NBC show has been popular and viewers love the chemistry among coaches Christina Aguilera, CeeLo Green, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton. Yet the show hasn't produced a breakout star, something producers hope will change now that they've altered some of the rules that led to quick eliminations.

"It's not that long of a season, so by the time we get to the end it's like, 'Oh, my God, I don't know who I like. It happened so fast,'" Shelton said. "And we do realize that the attention's focused on us more than it needs to be. And the viewer ... that's the only thing they've had time to figure out because they've had 60-something contestants to wade through."

Shelton and Levine have tried to extend the buzz for their contestants by taking them out on tour. And Green says he tries to stay in contact with each team member he's had since "The Voice" shot to the top of ratings when it debuted last year.

The flamboyant entertainer thinks the lack of post-competition star power might have something to do with the deteriorating music industry itself.

"It's a genuine concern of mine, man, because I'm concerned about the industry at large, that it does not carry and develop more young talent," Green said. "We're talking about stars, sensations. I just don't see those fireworks that once were. It's not as exciting. It's not as plentiful."

Cowell argues you need more than star singers to anoint the next big talent. On "X Factor" Epic Records chairman/CEO L.A. Reid is as crucial as celebrity judges, which this year includes Britney Spears and Demi Lovato.

Over at "Idol," there's a question about the status of Randy Jackson — the last link to the show's original panel with Cowell and Paula Abdul. The rumored list of names who might replace outgoing stars Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler has included Nicki Minaj, Brad Paisley and Keith Urban, not executives or producers.

"I wouldn't trust four singers on one of these shows," Cowell said. "You've got to have record executives balanced with the artists. The artists give one perspective and the record label gives a completely different perspective."

Of course, the celebrity argument cuts both ways. Some note it may be too much to ask for these shows to produce such a rare commodity.

John Rich, who's actually moving in with a contestant for 72 hours on the CW's "The Next," says those who've gone on to become stars did so because they had something special: "Sometimes great singers win the talent contest and sometimes great artists win the talent contest. More times than not, probably a great singer wins, not a great artist."

As Colon predicted, the year since he won has been challenging. He asked out of his record contract with Universal Republic when he felt he wasn't getting the necessary promotional push and support. But he recently wrapped a swing through South America with Maroon 5 at Levine's invitation. He played in front of 35,000 in Sao Paolo, Brazil, perhaps the highlight of his career. And more important, he's now able to draw several hundred out to a gig in North Dakota, drawing on his own star power.

"The Voice" didn't give him stardom, but the wave of momentum from the show has given him a career.

"My expectations going into the show were just, you know, I want this to be a good opportunity for me and good exposure and hopefully I'll be in a better place than I was before the show started," Colon said. "I'm definitely there and beyond that."

___

AP Television Writer Lynn Elber in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

___

Follow AP Music Writer Chris Talbott at https://twitter.com/Chris_Talbott.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day
    Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day

    Honda Philippines Inc. (HPI), and David's Salon recently held the awarding ceremony for the Metro Manila winner of the David's Salon Scooter Raffle Promo at the 5th level of SM Megamall Building A. Loyal patron Maria Theresa Guevara took home a brand new Honda Click 125i. Present to grace the occasion were David's Salon Creative Director Laura Charlton and HPI Assistant Vice-President for Sales and Marketing Hideo Nishinaga.To the delight of all those in attendance, guests were treated to …

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options