Football: Moyes braced for Man United hotseat

Everton manager David Moyes was expected to be named the new manager of Manchester United on Thursday, after Alex Ferguson sent shockwaves through world football by announcing his retirement from the role.

Moyes, 50, met with Everton chairman Bill Kenwright in London on Wednesday, hours after Ferguson revealed he would be stepping down at Old Trafford after amassing 38 trophies in a glorious 26-year spell.

The Everton manager, whose contract expires on June 30, was pictured on British television fleeing from journalists who had waited for him after the meeting and jumping into a waiting car.

Kenwright, however, said the Scot would leave with the club's blessing.

"At the end of the day, David's contract is up in six weeks' time and he has a right to make his own decisions," he told Sky Sports News.

"He has served this club wonderfully well."

Kenwright added that he thought Moyes would still be in charge for Everton's Premier League game with West Ham United on Sunday, which would be his last home game at the club.

In a fresh twist to the story, United issued a statement insisting that Wayne Rooney, the former Everton striker, still has a future at the club, after reports emerged that he had asked to leave.

Several British media outlets reported that Rooney had informed Ferguson of his desire to leave the club two weeks ago, but a United spokesman said: "Wayne Rooney is not for sale."

Rooney previously issued a transfer request in 2010, only to change his mind and sign a new five-year contract.

The England striker was handed his Everton debut by Moyes at the age of 16 in 2002 and joined United two years later in a �27 million ($42 million, 31.9 million euros) transfer.

Moyes sued the player over derogatory comments about him in his 2006 autobiography, but the pair are since believed to have reconciled.

Moyes was reportedly identified by Ferguson as the man he wanted to succeed him, despite a lack of European experience and the fact he has failed to win a trophy during his 11-year Everton tenure.

Former Manchester United assistant coach Steve McClaren gave Moyes' expected appointment his backing, telling the BBC: "He's a winner and has a work ethic similar to Sir Alex.

"He's also built a dynasty and legacy at Everton. He's waited many years for this opportunity and I hope he gets it."

Moyes and Ferguson have had a close relationship and the Everton manager has long been considered one of his fellow Scot's most likely successors.

He was even considered as a possible right-hand man to Ferguson as far back as 2000, when he was in charge at Preston North End, two years before he took the Everton job.

Existing on a comparatively meagre budget at Goodison Park, Moyes's Everton have not finished outside the top eight since 2006.

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho, the former Chelsea manager, had also been touted for the Old Trafford job, but Moyes was the odds-on favourite with all the leading British bookmakers.

Ferguson, 71, guided United to 13 Premier League titles and two European Champions League crowns in a record-breaking spell at the club.

Arguably the highlight of his career was the unprecedented Treble of 1999, which included the Premier League, FA Cup and a thrilling come-from-behind win against Bayern Munich in the Champions League final.

Rumours of his retirement only began circulating late on Tuesday, but Ferguson said it was a decision he had been considering for some time.

"The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time," Ferguson said.

"It was important to me to leave an organisation in the strongest possible shape and I believe I have done so," added Ferguson, who will bow out with United having wrested back the Premier League title this season from local rivals Manchester City.

Ferguson's final game in charge will be away to West Bromwich Albion on May 19.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day
    Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day

    Honda Philippines Inc. (HPI), and David's Salon recently held the awarding ceremony for the Metro Manila winner of the David's Salon Scooter Raffle Promo at the 5th level of SM Megamall Building A. Loyal patron Maria Theresa Guevara took home a brand new Honda Click 125i. Present to grace the occasion were David's Salon Creative Director Laura Charlton and HPI Assistant Vice-President for Sales and Marketing Hideo Nishinaga.To the delight of all those in attendance, guests were treated to …

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options