Foreign portfolio investment hits $345M in November

TRANSACTIONS on Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP)-registered foreign portfolio investments for November 2019 yielded net outflows of US$345 million as a result of the $1.5 billion outflows and $1.2 billion inflows for the month. This is in contrast to the net inflows recorded in October 2019 ($105 million).

The $1.2 billion registered investments reflected a 4.5 percent decrease from the $1.3 billion figure in October. About 86.4 percent of investments registered during the month were in Philippie Stock Exchange-listed securities (pertaining mainly to holding firms, banks, property companies, food, beverage and tobacco firms and transportation services companies) while the remaining 13.6 percent went to investments in Peso Government Securities. The United Kingdom, the United States, Singapore, Hong Kong and Luxembourg were the top five investor countries for the month, with combined shares totaling 78.6 percent.

Outflows for the month ($1.5 billion) were higher compared to the level recorded for October 2019 ($1.1 billion or by 34.2 percent). (PR)