Free rides only until June 15

·1 min read

THE free rides in modern jeepneys offered by the Department of Transportation (DOTr) will end on Wednesday, June 15, 2022.

Director Eduardo Montealto Jr. of the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board in Central Visayas (LTFRB 7), the sectoral agency of the DOTr tasked to implement the Libreng Sakay program, said a total of 11,739,253 passengers have benefited from the program as of June 12 and the number is expected to reach 13 million by June 15.

Montealto told SunStar Cebu that the LTFRB 7 would have wanted to extend the program, but it has run out of funds.

Phase 3 of the free ride program, which runs from April to June 15, has P570 million in funding.

It was participated in by 1,420 public utility vehicles (PUJ) from Cebu, Bohol and Negros Oriental.

The province of Siquijor was not included in the program after the PUJ operators there failed to submit all the requirements needed for the global positioning system.

The first phase of the program started and ended in the first half of 2021.

Phase 2 of the free ride program started in the middle of September last year and ended on Dec. 30, 2021.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting