France's Hollande caught in storm over partner's tweet

French President Francois Hollande faced his first political storm Wednesday as his rightwing opponents looked to exploit an incendiary tweet by his partner just days ahead of a parliamentary election.

The tweet by unofficial first lady Valerie Trierweiler wishing luck to an election opponent of Segolene Royal -- Hollande's ex-partner and mother of their four children -- was also rounded on by the French press as an "embarrassment" that threatened to damage the Socialists' electoral chances.

"France's First Gaffe", leftwing daily Liberation wrote on its front page beside a photograph of Trierweiler, saying she had put Hollande "in a delicate position".

The rightwing Le Figaro went further, saying the Twitter comment had sown "amazement and confusion" among Hollande's Socialist Party and would have "heavy consequences".

Royal, who failed in a 2007 presidential bid, is standing against Olivier Falorni, a Socialist dissident, for a parliamentary seat in the western town of La Rochelle.

Hollande has publicly thrown his weight behind Royal, but in the tweet on Tuesday Trierweiler wished Falorni "good luck" and praised his "selfless commitment" to the people of La Rochelle.

The rivalry between the two women has long been a subject of speculation.

Trierweiler told AFP Wednesday that her Twitter account was "apparently hacked", after a second tweet suggested she had asked Le Monde newspaper not to publish pictures of her at a photo session with Hollande in the Elysee garden.

She insisted she did not post the tweet and "never asked that photos be pulled".

Her chief of staff Patrice Biancone also told AFP that her Twitter account had been "hacked" and that he would formally inform Hollande's office.

Hollande stood loyally by his former partner as she battled rightwinger Nicolas Sarkozy for the presidency in the 2007 race, but he had reportedly been in a relationship since 2005 with Trierweiler, a twice-divorced 47-year-old mother of three.

Neither Hollande nor Trierweiler were commenting on the first tweet Wednesday but Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault gave Trierweiler a slight rebuke, saying she needed to learn to be a little more discreet.

"I think she should play a discreet role, which is not easy to figure out," he said. "I understand that things are always a bit complicated at the start, but everyone needs to find their place."

Ayrault accused the right of "over-exploiting" the incident, as Hollande's opponents jumped on the tweet as an inappropriate intrusion of the president's private life on to the political scene.

The rightwing UMP party of ex-president Sarkozy, whom Hollande defeated in last month's presidential run-off election, is anxious to score points against the Socialists ahead of a second-round parliamentary vote on Sunday.

After coming out on top in last Sunday's first round, the Socialists and their allies are expected to win the majority Hollande needs to push through his leftwing programme.

"This affair makes a mockery of our country and of our head of state," Eric Ciotti of the UMP told France Inter radio. "It is a grotesque, ridiculous situation that weakens the position of the head of state."

Some Socialists sought to defuse the crisis by insisting that Trierweiler, a journalist with magazine Paris Match, made the remark in a personal capacity.

But former UMP minister Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet said Trierweiler's unofficial status was causing "confusion" and that her role should be clarified.

The UMP's Francois Fillon, a prime minister under Sarkozy, said Hollande should "put his house in order".

"I find this quite sad, but I don't want to comment, I refuse to do what the Socialists did with Nicolas Sarkozy, that is to mix everything together, his private life," he told France Bleu radio.

An IFOP-Fiducial poll showed Royal losing to Falorni by a vote of 42 to 58 percent, but Ayrault urged him to "take his responsibilities" and step aside.

Royal sought to play down the scandal, telling journalists: "Sometimes there can be excitement that we did not want, but it's nothing dramatic.

"That is the reality of political life. What's important is not to lose your way, to stay on a straight line... (and) maintain the dignity of the political debate."

The Socialists and other leftwing parties won about 46 percent of the vote in Sunday's first round, ahead of the UMP and its allies with 34 percent.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post
    Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post

    After nearly a year, President Aquino finally made good his promise to a long-time ally – former Cavite governor and congressman Erineo Maliksi – to head the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), replacing Margarita Juico who resigned in May 2014. Maliksi must be officially elected by the PCSO board members as their chairman. Prior to his appointment to the PCSO, Maliksi faced graft charges before the Sandiganbayan in connection with the alleged illegal purchase of P2.5 million worth …

  • US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense
    US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense

    A massive deployment of aircraft, personnel and warships characterizes this year’s Balikatan between the two allies, which war games were launched 30 years ago. Commander Lued Lincuna, Philippine Navy public affairs chief, said the Marine Battalion Landing Team-4 (MBLT-4) will link  up with the US 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force. …

  • P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China
    P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China

    With China’s actions threatening to “considerably alter the way of doing business globally,” President Aquino will ask the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to take a united stand against Beijing’s massive reclamation activities and other provocative acts in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea. Aquino will raise the appeal to his ASEAN counterparts when they meet on April 27-28 in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia. Beijing reacted immediately to the plan, saying the …

  • OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism
    OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism

    The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) yesterday backed the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), warning that failure to see the peace process through with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) could open the door to extremism. OIC secretary-general Iyad Bin Amin Madani, who is in the country to rally support for the peace process and the BBL, told reporters at the Senate yesterday that the Philippines should not waste the opportunity to attain lasting peace in Mindanao, especially …

  • Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed
    Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed

    The head of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) is opposing the plan of the Senate to investigate alleged “justice for sale” in the judiciary. In an interview yesterday, IBP national president Vicente Joyas contested the pronouncement of Senate President Franklin Drilon that the Senate Blue Ribbon committee can probe the reported corruption in the judiciary, as it remains part of the scope of the Senate’s investigative power. “The plan of the Senate to push through with the …

  • PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view
    PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view

    The camp of Floyd Mayweather is reportedly charging the Philippine National Police P200,000 for a pay-per-view deal of his fight with Manny Pacquiao, a PNP official said yesterday. Director Danilo Constantino, the PNP’s Chief Directorial Staff, said the cost of the pay-per-view for the fight makes it difficult for the PNP to sponsor the free viewing for its personnel and their dependents at Camp Crame’s multi-purpose center. “We are currently negotiating for the pay-per-view and we ever …

  • No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP
    No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP

    There has been no disruption in the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Alan Purisima was suspended in December 2014, an official said yesterday. PNP officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina is the one signing the PTCFOR cards, PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said. Cerbo, however, could not say when Espina started signing the cards and how many PTCFORs have …

  • HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’
    HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’

    A senior Hong Kong politician is under fire after she accused some Filipina domestic helpers of seducing their male employers, in comments branded “racist” and “offensive” by critics. There are 300,000 maids in Hong Kong, mostly from the Philippines and Indonesia, with concern growing among rights groups over their welfare following a string of abuse cases. But lawmaker Regina Ip, a close adviser to the city’s leader Leung Chun-ying and tipped as a future chief executive, cast the maids as …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options