French rogue trader launches appeal, blames bank

French rogue trader Jerome Kerviel was back in court Monday arguing that he was a scapegoat and that Societe Generale must take responsibility for the billions of euros his gambles cost the bank.

"I am not responsible for this loss," he said as his appeal hearing began against a 2010 conviction that gave him a three-year jail term and ordered him to pay back the 4.9 billion euros ($6 billion) he cost his former employer.

"I always acted with the knowledge of my hierarchy," Kerviel, dressed in a dark blue suit and an open-necked white shirt, told the judge when asked why he was appealing his conviction over the losses incurred in 2008.

Kerviel was for many a symbol of the excesses of the global financial system, which he has described as a "big banking orgy", and even became a cult hero in France.

The 35-year-old from a small village in Brittany did not profit personally from his unauthorised 50 billion euros of uncovered bets on futures markets, which cost the bank 4.9 billion euros to unwind and which nearly ruined it.

He has not served any jail time since his October 2010 conviction for breach of trust, forgery and entering false data into computers during the covert stock market deals.

Kerviel, who faces up to five years in prison if the court upholds the conviction, has consistently argued that his superiors knew what he was doing and turned a blind eye as long as he was making them a profit.

His lawyers have promised they will prove at the appeal hearing that Societe Generale knew that Kerviel was going far beyond his mandate with risky bets and that the bank could therefore not claim to be an innocent victim.

French regulators fined the bank four million euros for failures in its internal risk management systems following the Kerviel scandal.

Kerviel, who told the court he was currently unemployed and had no source of income, has admitted regularly exceeding trading limits and logging false transactions to cover his gambles, but says this was common practice.

Societe Generale management has argued it knew nothing of what Kerviel was up to. The former head of the bank, Daniel Bouton, was due to appear at the appeal hearing on June 21. The hearing is set to last until June 28.

The judge at the original trial said 140,000 jobs at Societe Generale had been endangered by Kerviel's actions.

Two months ago, Kerviel changed his lawyer, hiring David Koubbi, who has launched two countersuits against the bank.

One accuses the bank of manipulating secret recordings to make it appear that the trader's superiors were unaware of his activities.

The other says that while Kerviel was ordered to repay the money he lost, the firm has already been repaid a third of the sum in the form of a tax write-off.

Societe Generale, which said in 2010 that it would spare Kerviel from paying the full compensation, has hit back with two suits for malicious falsehood.

Since the Kerviel case exploded, banks have insisted that internal safeguards have been reinforced to prevent a repeat, but fresh trading scandals continue to erupt.

In 2011 a London-based trader was charged with fraud after losing Swiss bank UBS $2.25 billion, while US bank JPMorgan is recovering from more than $2 billion in derivatives trading losses,

Those losses were blamed on another French trader, Bruno Michel Iksil, nicknamed the "London Whale" and "Voldemort" -- after Harry Potter's evil nemesis.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel
    Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel

    The $150,000 pearl-studded, custom-made Calvin Klein dress worn by Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o at this year's Academy Awards has been stolen, police said on Thursday. The gown, embellished with 6,000 natural white pearls, was stolen from Nyong'o's room at the London Hotel in West Hollywood, during the day on Wednesday, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in West Hollywood said. "Ms Nyong'o was not in the room at the time of the theft," Deputy John Mitchell …

  • US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians
    US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians

    The US-led coalition has carried out air strikes against the Islamic State group in northeastern Syria, where the jihadists have launched a new offensive and kidnapped 220 Assyrian Christians. The raids on Thursday struck areas around the town of Tal Tamr in Hasakeh province, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, without giving information on possible casualties. The town remains under the control of Kurdish forces, but at least 10 surrounding villages have been seized by IS, along …

  • Militants abduct more Christians, smash ancient artifacts
    Militants abduct more Christians, smash ancient artifacts

    BEIRUT (AP) — Islamic State militants seized more Christians from their homes in northeastern Syria in the past three days, bringing the total number abducted by the extremist group to over 220, activists said Thursday. …

  • 3 Pinays on Forbes power women list
    3 Pinays on Forbes power women list

    Three Filipina executives, who are all daughters of known business tycoons in the country, made it to Forbes’ list of the 50 most powerful businesswomen in Asia. Teresita Sy-Coson, vice chairman of SM Investments and chairman of BDO Universal Bank, was included in the list for the fourth year in a row since its inception. “Under her (Sy-Coson) lead SMIC became the largest listed company on the Philippine Stock Exchange by market cap. Also in the 2015 list is 70-year-old Helen Yuchengco-Dee, …

  • 13 of 15 SAF survivors to leave PNP hospital
    13 of 15 SAF survivors to leave PNP hospital

    Thirteen of the 15 Special Action Force (SAF) policemen who survived the bloody firefight with Muslim rebels in Mamasapano last month are ready to go home after a month of medical treatment, a police official said yesterday. Philippine National Police (PNP) spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said the two remaining survivors will have to stay in hospital for further treatment, one of whom has shrapnel embedded near his spine. One of the two SAF commando survivors is still …

  • Review: SKK Mobile V2, a P3,999 watered-down LG G2
    Review: SKK Mobile V2, a P3,999 watered-down LG G2

    How well does this P3,999 offering from an underdog in the local mobile industry stack up against the competition? Let's find out. …

  • US sends spy plane to patrol disputed sea
    US sends spy plane to patrol disputed sea

    The United States has deployed its newest and most advanced surveillance aircraft for patrols over the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea. The P-8A Poseidon aircraft completed more than 180 flight hours from Feb. 1 to 21 from Clark Air Base, according to the US Navy’s 7th Fleet. …

  • China bans ivory imports for 1 year to protect elephants
    China bans ivory imports for 1 year to protect elephants

    BEIJING (AP) — China imposed a one-year ban on ivory imports that took immediate effect Thursday amid criticism that its citizens' huge appetite for ivory has fueled poaching that threatens the existence of African elephants. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options