After fund issue, Trillanes, Cayetano staff recalled

(Updated 4:16 p.m.) DAVAO CITY — After being deprived of additional funds, Senate Minority Floor Leader Alan Peter Cayetano on Wednesday bared that some of his and Senator Antonio Trillanes IV's staff are being recalled by the Senate allegedly without explanation. "We received a memo that ang staff namin ni Sen. Trillanes that belong to the [Senate] secretariat are being recalled, walang reason na nakalagay," Cayetano told reporters at the sidelines of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines' (IBP) Convention here. The memo, which Cayetano said was sent last week, seeks to recall two of his staff and two of Trillanes' staff.

In a text message to GMA News Online, Sen. Antonio Trillanes confirmed that two of his staff were being recalled. In a statement, Enrile said he had the staff recalled because the assignments for their detail had expired already and it was "only proper that these high-salaried personnel should be sent back to and be utilized by their respective mother units." "Those two employees detailed to the office of Senator Alan Cayetano are actually from the Blue Ribbon Office, and those two employees detailed to the office of Senator Trillanes are from the Senate Economic Planning Office and the Office of the Senate Secretary," he said. Enrile said he gave the instruction to the Office of the Senate Secretary as early as December 6, 2012, which was even before news of the additional funds broke out.

"The Office of the Senate Secretary signed and issued such recall order last 3 January 2013, and effective only yesterday, 15th of January," he said.

He also said that when these employees were recalled, two other Senate secretariat employees remained with Cayetano and one remained with Trillanes. Suspicious timing Cayetano, however, said the timing of the recall was suspicious since he and Trillanes had recently criticized Enrile for giving additional operating expenses to all senators except his perceived foes. "Sa amin lang dalawa ni Sen. Trillanes samantalang maraming naka-detail na iba't-ibang staff sa buong Senate sa iba't-ibang senators. So again, what's unique about me and Sen. Trillanes?" he said. Cayetano and Trillanes are both members of the minority, which Enrile cited as the reason why they weren't given additional funds. Enrile also said the two have enough funding for their committees, which they weren't even supposed to head as members of the minority. Cayetano, however, asked why Sen. Joker Arroyo was given the same funds like the majority. "Is it because mas mabait sa kanya (Enrile) si Sen. Arroyo? Is it because they see eye to eye on many more issues than us?" he asked. In the same manner, Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago, a member of the majority, was among those who weren't given the second tranche of the additional operating funds. Enrile, who had been a subject of several coup rumors in the Senate last year, has accused Santiago of pretending to be a member of the majority. Cayetano likened what Enrile did to “martial law” and to the “type of tactic” allegedly practiced by former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, who was accused of withholding the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), or pork barrel, of her critics in Congress. "If I was Senate president pupuntulan ko ba siya ng pondo if I don't agree with her? That's the type of Senate we are turning into, that's why I said it's a martial law GMA (Arroyo's initials)-Enrile type of tactic that I hope the majority puts a stop to," Cayetano said. "We're throwing to them (majority) the question because the minority cannot outvote the majority but the majority whether behind closed doors or whether in session can talk to the Senate president and say hindi pwedeng ganyan...hindi ka pwede mamili eto gusto mo eto gusto kung hindi," he added. Cayetano also said that he wishes to "dispel" any notion that the Senate president has complete authority over all Senate funds. "Sen. Enrile cannot do it by himself even if he is Senate president but if the majority allows him to do it, bahala sila that's the kind of Senate they want but in the past it's always been pantay-pantay lahat ng senators regardless kung ano ang position nila that is changing now," he added. Santiago has earlier wrote to the Commission on Audit (COA) asking for an audit of the Senate funds. Cayetano, however, said the audit should be conducted by an independent firm. "Althought I believe in the chair of the COA and the independence of the COA, kung senador o COA ang mag-imbestiga, siyempre may influence at may subjectivity pero 'yung private firm reputation nila is on the line," he said. Enrile has said that he welcomes any audit. — KBK, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Muslim group calls for universal peace
    Muslim group calls for universal peace

    As predominantly Catholic Philippines and the rest of the Christian world observe the Holy Week, peace advocates like the Young Muslim Professionals Network (YMPN) are appealing to Filipinos of various creeds and persuasion to embrace the universal message of kindness, love and peace. The group issued the call as peace negotiations between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front teeter due to the Mamasapano incident where members of the rebel group killed 44 police commandos on a …

  • Ex-WB exec pushes BBL passage
    Ex-WB exec pushes BBL passage

    A former World Bank official has warned of dire consequences for the Philippines if the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) is not passed into law. Nigel Roberts, former director on conflict, security and development, said that more conflict could occur without the BBL. “It takes about 15 years to get back to pre-conflict GDP growth rates, and 20 years for trade to recover,” Roberts said in his blog at the World Bank website. The World Bank estimated that economic losses amounted to $10 …

  • Despite typhoon, summer is here
    Despite typhoon, summer is here

    Super Typhoon Chedeng roared toward Luzon as the weather bureau announced the official start of summer in the country yesterday. The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) announced yesterday the official start of the dry or summer season in the country due to the termination of the cold northeast monsoon. “The general public is advised to take precautionary measures to minimize heat stress and take note of the need in optimizing the daily use of …

  • Noy told: Just answer the questions
    Noy told: Just answer the questions

    Just answer the 20 questions. The Makabayan bloc of seven party-list representatives made this appeal to President Aquino yesterday after his spokesman claimed the Chief Executive has already answered most of the questions posed by the militant lawmakers regarding the Mamasapano incident. For instance, he said the President has not yet explained why he allowed then suspended Philippine National Police chief Director General Alan Purisima to take the lead in Oplan Exodus or the mission to …

  • DFA: Malaysia paying rent for Sabah
    DFA: Malaysia paying rent for Sabah

    Malaysia does not acknowledge the Philippine claim over Sabah but the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) maintained yesterday that the Malaysian government is paying rent for Sabah, indicating it rightfully belongs to the Philippines. The Malay Mail Online reported that Malaysian Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman said Malaysia has not and does not acknowledge the Philippine claim over Sabah when asked by media about the reported offer of the Philippine government to downgrade its Sabah …

  • 63 OFWs returning from Yemen
    63 OFWs returning from Yemen

    Sixty-three overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are set to return home from war-torn Yemen, Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said yesterday. Baldoz said the licensed recruiters of the OFWs have assured the government of their immediate repatriation. Administrator Hans Cacdac of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration has ordered the recruitment agencies to fulfill their obligation to bring home the OFWs. Baldoz called on Filipinos still in Yemen to avail themselves of the government’s …

  • Jinggoy gets furlough for shoulder checkup
    Jinggoy gets furlough for shoulder checkup

    Despite opposition from ombudsman lawyers, the Sandiganbayan yesterday granted detained Sen. Jinggoy Estrada’s request to undergo a medical checkup at the Cardinal Santos Memorial Hospital. Estrada was allowed to undergo a medical examination for pain in his left shoulder from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. The senator was ordered to shoulder the expenses incurred by the Philippine National Police in  escorting him. In a pleading filed Monday with the anti-graft court’s Fifth Division, Estrada’s lawyers …

  • Tekken’s Josie Rizal gets flak
    Tekken’s Josie Rizal gets flak

    A professor of the University of the Philippines yesterday hit the portrayal of a Filipino character, whose name was based on Jose Rizal, in a Japanese-produced video game. “(It’s) offensive and unsuited for a big company like Bandai because they have the money to do research,” Gonzalo Campoamor II, professor of Life and Works of Rizal in UP Diliman, told The STAR. Japanese giant Namco Bandai recently introduced Josie Rizal, the first Filipino character in the popular fighting game franchise …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options