Gibson pleads for patience from Windies cricket fans

West Indies coach Ottis Gibson urged Caribbean cricket fans to keep faith with his youthful side after their latest defeat, admitting criticism from "your own people" was tough to take.

The West Indies lost the second Test against England, and with it the three-match series, after going down by nine wickets with more than a day left at Trent Bridge on Monday.

Before this match, former West Indies fast bowler Michael Holding said Gibson needed "to understand that the West Indies cricket team is not a boot camp and how to man-manage".

Holding, now a respected cricket broadcaster, also questioned the place in the team of captain Darren Sammy, saying: "West Indies cannot afford to carry anyone while they are struggling in Test matches."

This defeat left West Indies with a record of just two wins in their last 33 Tests and was the end of a previously unbeaten run in first-class cricket at Trent Bridge going back to 1906 that spanned 22 matches, including eight Tests.

Gibson, a former Windies paceman and ex-England bowling coach, was braced for more criticism from Caribbean cricket greats.

"It's part and parcel of West Indies cricket," he said. "Over the years, this group of players, because of the decline, if you like, of West Indies cricket has been criticised.

"You come to England, you are playing the number one team in the world, it's difficult to expect you are going to come and beat them easy.

"We challenged them at Lord's (where England won the first Test by five wickets), we challenged them here for periods as well but not for long enough to create any winning opportunities."

The West Indies were the kings of world cricket from the mid 1970s to the early 1990s but a series of high-profile player disputes, a failure to plan for life after the end of a 'golden era', the advent of the Indian Premier League and rising standards elsewhere have hit them hard.

"When I took over this role, two-and-a-half years ago now, I knew it was a tough task," said Gibson. "I knew we'd have to take 'baby steps' if you like to get us back to where we once were.

"It's very difficult to expect you are going to reverse 15 years or 20 years of decline in two-and-a-half, three years of trying to put the right sort of processes in place."

As for the criticism, he added: "It's not nice, especially when it's coming from your own people."

West Indies' top order has repeatedly failed this series and their latest slump, to 61 for six on Sunday, all but sealed their defeat in this match.

Gibson said they had to toughen up fast ahead of the third Test at Edgbaston starting on June 7.

"That's what the top teams in the world do. They test your technique, they test your character, they test your mental strength and perhaps that's where we are falling short."

But West Indies did see middle-order duo Marlon Samuels and Sammy frustrate England with a century apiece during their first innings at Trent Bridge.

Sammy's 106 was his maiden Test hundred and Gibson said: "It saved us from a pretty dire situation.

"He works very hard, he's an honest cricketer and it's always pleasing when that hard work pays off.

"In his case, the amount of criticism he's been getting even from some of our own people makes it even more special for him. I was delighted for him as I was for Marlon as well."

And he insisted West Indies wouldn't throw in the towel.

"We've still got another Test match, we are a proud people, we are very proud of our history and that we were once the number one team in the world and that's something we take a lot of pride in.

"We'll go to Edgbaston in a week's time and put our pride before our performance and see how we come out."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Philippines accuses China of turning water cannon on its fishing boats

    Filipino activists denounced China's coast guard on Tuesday for turning water cannon on Philippine fishing boats in disputed waters, near where hundreds of Filipino and American Marines landed on a beach in a mock assault. The presidential palace in Manila said China's coast guard used water cannon on Monday to drive away a group of Filipino fishermen at Scarborough Shoal, damaging some of their wooden boats. …

  • U.S. says if China used water cannons on Philippine boats, would be provocative'

    The U.S. State Department said on Tuesday that if reports that China used water cannon son Philippine fishing boats in disputed waters are accurate, it would be a provocative step. Filipino activists have accused China's coast guard of turning water cannons on civilian boats in the disputed area on Monday. …

  • Pacmania sweeps Philippines ahead of Mayweather clash
    Pacmania sweeps Philippines ahead of Mayweather clash

    Manny Pacquiao's face is on shirts, dolls and postage stamps, his life story is playing in movie houses and millions are getting ready to party as the Philippine boxing hero's "fight of the century" nears. Pacmania is sweeping the Southeast Asian nation of 100 million people ahead of the May 2 Las Vegas bout against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather to decide who is the best boxer of their generation. Of course, it's the fight of the century," Manila film producer Lucky Blanco told AFP. …

  • ‘Racist remark vs Pinays not reflective of HK sentiment’
    ‘Racist remark vs Pinays not reflective of HK sentiment’

    The Philippine consulate general in Hong Kong believes that the “racist” statement of legislator Regina Ip against Filipina domestic helpers in Hong Kong is not reflective of the general sentiments of the Hong Kong community. Hong Kong is home to more than 173,00 Filipinos working mostly as household service workers. “They have left their loved ones back home to earn a decent living taking care of Hong Kong families. This, in turn, has engendered positive impact on both the quality of life …

  • SWS: Gov’t rating sinks to record low
    SWS: Gov’t rating sinks to record low

    “The Aquino administration is firmly determined to carry on and complete priority programs in all five pillars of the Philippine development plan, to ensure that reforms will be sustained by strengthened public institutions, to tread the righteous path and ensure that good governance becomes the norm at all levels of government, and to sustain and make permanent the gains from the transformation of mindsets and institutions,” Coloma added. Lawmakers expressed belief yesterday that the Aquino …

  • ‘Pacmania’ sweeping the nation
    ‘Pacmania’ sweeping the nation

    Manny Pacquiao’s face is on shirts, dolls and postage stamps, his life story is playing in movie houses, and millions are getting ready to party as the Philippine boxing hero’s “fight of the century” nears. Pacmania is sweeping the nation of 100 million people ahead of the May 2 Las Vegas bout against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. to decide who is the best boxer of their generation. …

  • House committee to put Bangsamoro police under PNP
    House committee to put Bangsamoro police under PNP

    The House ad hoc committee on the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) will put police forces in the envisioned new autonomous Muslim region under the Philippine National Police (PNP), and not under the regional chief minister. “We will delete the provision in the draft BBL giving the chief minister operational, administrative and disciplinary control over police forces in the region,” Cagayan de Oro City Rep. Rufus Rodriguez, committee chairman, said in a television interview. He said under …

  • Phl to seek more US military aid
    Phl to seek more US military aid

    The Philippines said yesterday it would soon ask the United States for more military equipment and training to build its defenses, as it faces Chinese “aggressiveness” in disputed waters. As hundreds of Filipino and American Marines simulated an amphibious assault to reclaim territory from invaders during annual war games, Armed Forces chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang said he was drafting a “wish list” for US aid. Catapang said the Philippines would ask for “equipment and training” when …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options