Google profits surge on growing ad revenue

Google reported a surge in quarterly profit to $2.79 billion on the back of rising online advertising revenue, beating Wall Street expectations.

The California-based online search titan's profit rose 11 percent in the quarter ended June 30 as consolidated revenue climbed 35 percent to $12.21 billion compared with the same fiscal quarter last year.

"Google standalone had a strong quarter with 21 percent year-on-year revenue growth, and we launched a bunch of exciting new products... in particular the Nexus 7 tablet, which has received rave reviews," said chief executive Larry Page, on Thursday.

"This quarter is also special because Motorola is now part of the Google family, and we're excited about the potential to build great devices for users."

Google's stock price rose to $610.45 in after-hours trade that followed release of the earnings figures.

The company has stated publicly that it intends to allow newly acquired Motorola Mobility to keep its autonomy as it battles in the hotly contested smartphone market.

Google in May completed the $12.9 billion deal for Motorola Mobility, a key manufacturer of smartphones and other devices that put the Internet giant in head-to-head competition with Apple.

Google acquires 17,000 patents with the purchase of Motorola Mobility and has been strengthening its patent portfolio in the fight for dominance in the smartphone and tablet market.

Motorola Mobility was created in 2011 when US-based Motorola Inc. split the company into two separate entities: a mobile devices unit, and a government and public safety division known as Motorola Solutions.

"We are totally excited about this opportunity we have at Motorola," Google chief financial officer Patrick Pichette said during an earnings conference call.

"There is palpable excitement," he continued. "Clearly, people should expect some changes at Motorola."

Page did not take part in the conference call as is the usual routine, with executives saying that the Google boss and co-founder was still recovering from a throat problem that left him temporarily unable to speak.

"Larry has lost his voice," said Google chief business officer Nikesh Arora. "That means he cannot do any speaking engagements, including this earnings call, but he continues to run the company."

Google's dominant share of the US online search advertising market will grow to 77.9 percent this year from slightly less than three-quarters last year, according to industry tracker eMarketer.

In comparison, the piece of the market held by Microsoft search engine Bing was expected to remain unchanged at seven percent.

Google will rake in one of every 10 dollars spent on advertising this year in the United States as the overall market reaches $169.5 billion, according to eMarketer.

Google is also dominating the US mobile advertising market, seen as a key source of revenue for Internet firms as modern lifestyles revolve increasingly around smartphones and tablet computers.

Spending on US mobile ads is projected to leap 80 percent this year to $2.61 billion with Google's share at nearly 52 percent, according to eMarketer.

"Mobile is very important," Arora said. "It is evident in our commitment to Android as well as our purchase of Motorola."

On a separate note, executives announced that the Google+ social network has grown to 250 million users and that it continues to be integrated through the company's online venues as a "backbone" for features based on friends.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP
    Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP

    The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said that the country’s aviation has met international safety standards and is currently being reviewed by the European Union. Members of the EU delegation recently made a courtesy call on CAAP Director General William Hotchkiss III. Beda Badiola, CAAP’s Flight Standards and Inspectorate Service chief, said all air carriers in the country have followed regulations that the agency was able to oversee properly according to standards. “They …

  • Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services
    Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services

    Despite the pronouncement of the leadership of the Philippine National Police that it’s business as usual, some basic services are undeniably affected by the absence of a full-time PNP chief, particularly the issuance of gun permits. The PNP had deferred the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since Dec. 3, a day before the Office of the Ombudsman slapped a six-month suspension on former PNP chief Director General Alan Purisima, who is facing plunder charges. …

  • Expanded Phl-US war games start today
    Expanded Phl-US war games start today

    The Philippines and the United States will kick off today this year’s Balikatan military exercises amid concerns over China’s reclamation activities in disputed areas in the West Philippine Sea. More than 11,000 Filipino and American troops will join the drills to be held simultaneously in different locations until April 30. …

  • Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online
    Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online

    Authorities warned the public yesterday to be more careful in dealing with people they meet online as the “budol-budol” and “dugo-dugo” gangs have expanded their deceptive operations on social media. Senior Inspector Robert Reyes, assistant chief of the Philippine National Police’s Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) investigation section, said online financial fraud is one of the emerging forms of scams in the country. Reyes said scam operators are looking for prospective victims online through …

  • Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term
    Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term

    President Aquino is inclined to name a new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief who can serve beyond the 2016 elections. Speaking to reporters at the Tarlac National High School before the weekend, Aquino said he was bewildered by the amended PNP Act that requires all deputies of the PNP chief to serve or stay at least one year in his post. Among the contenders for PNP chief are Deputy Director General Marcelo Garbo Jr., suspended Chief Superintendent Raul Petrasanta and Director Juanito …

  • ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’
    ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’

    Stronger international action is needed to counter China’s rapid reclamation activities in the West Philippine Sea, Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. said yesterday. Belmonte noted that statements of condemnation from global powers on the continued encroachment of China in the disputed waters have been ineffectual. He added that China’s blatant expansion activities are making the problem not just a regional security problem, but a global one. “China is obviously violating our territory in front …

  • MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks
    MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks

    Leaders of the House of Representatives renewed their call yesterday to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) to surrender its fighters allegedly involved in the killing of 44 police commandos in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, leader of the House independent bloc, said the continued refusal of MILF leaders to turn over their men is causing the further erosion of support for the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) in Congress. “I hope the MILF …

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options