Government won’t pay P50M for missing Jordanian reporter

MANILA (Updated) -- Malacañang said Sunday that the government will observe the no ransom policy following the alleged abduction of a foreign television reporter and his crew in Sulu last week.

Jordanian journalist Baker Abdulla Atyani of Dubai-based Al-Arabiya TV and his two Filipino cameramen Rolando Letrero and Ramelito Vela were reported missing since June 12 after they failed to return to their rented rooms at the Sulu State College Hostel in capital town Jolo.

Police authorities suspected the three were kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf bandits, who reportedly demanded a P50-million ransom.

The Integrated Police Operation Western Mindanao received an unconfirmed report saying the three were held captive by Yasser Igasa, leader of the Abu Sayyaf group in Sulu province, according to a radio report.

“The government holds a no ransom policy — that has not changed,” deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said in an interview over government-run Radyo ng Bayan.

She added it is premature to discuss ransom at the moment since there was no confirmed report yet of Atyani and his group being kidnapped.

In fact, Valte said there were witnesses who spotted the television team leaving their hostel “voluntarily” with several persons.

“As far as we have been updated, you can’t even put the incident in that category (abduction) yet. They are still considered missing and efforts are being expended to locate them,” the Palace official said.

Senior Superintendent Gene Cerbo Jr., spokesman of the Philippine National Police, also said the category of Atyani, Vela and Letrico is “still missing,” as it could not be confirmed if they were kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf.

“We have not received any word on the whereabouts of Baker Atyani as of today (Sunday),” he said.

Valte assured, however, that concerned government agencies are monitoring the situation and the Palace has been constantly getting updates from the local government in Sulu.

Atyani, an experienced reporter who interviewed notorious terrorist Osama bin Laden, reportedly went to Mindanao for a series of interviews including with the officials of Sulu.

He arrived in Zamboanga City on June 10 where he had interviews with a certain Uztad Abdul Baki Abubakar and a certain Morehi Ibrahim.

The next day, Atyani and his team flew to Sulu to interview Governor Abu Sakur Tan and Jolo Mayor Hussein Amin.

On June 12, the three reportedly went to a jungle in Jolo to conduct an interview with Abu Sayyaf leader Yasser Igasan. They have not been seen since then.

Atyani, Al-Arabiya's TV bureau chief in Southeast Asia, is apparently doing a TV documentary on the kidnappings in southern Philippines.

There have been reports that Atyani has been visiting Sulu the past 10 years apparently to get first-hand news about the Abu Sayyaf, a terror group tagged in many terrorist attacks and kidnap-for-ransom in southern Philippines for the past 15 years.

Jolo, which is about 950 kilometers south of Manila, is notorious for bomb attacks, kidnappings and beheading incidents. (Jill Beltran/PNA/Sunnex)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options