Greenpeace slams 'illegal' Indonesia coal plant

Greenpeace activists Wednesday protested plans by Indonesia to build Southeast Asia's biggest coal power plant, saying it would sully coastal waters and strip the livelihoods of fishermen and farmers.

Masked activists from the environmental group, dressed in black, marched alongside a replica of a sinking ship through the capital Jakarta to the Maritime and Fisheries Ministry, calling for the project to be scrapped.

Greenpeace said the planned coal plant in central Java's Batang district would pollute coastal waters and threaten the livelihoods of more than 10,000 fishermen as well as farmers on nearby lands.

Greenpeace campaigner Arif Fiyanto noted that Indonesia had committed to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by 26 percent from 2009 levels by 2020.

"But coal contributes 60 percent of global emissions," he said. "If Indonesia were serious about its commitment, it would try to reduce the country's dependence on fossil fuels."

The Indonesian government says the planned coal plant would be the biggest in the region, and with a capacity of 2,000 megawatts (MW) would boost the country's bid to add 20,000 MW to its grid from 2005 levels by 2016.

The plant is set to be built in a public-private partnership between Indonesian coal miner Adaro Energy and Japan's Electric Power Development (J-Power) and Itochu Corp., after the consortium won a $3.2 billion tender last year for the project.

Greenpeace activists called the project "illegal", arguing that the coastal area of Ujungnegoro-Roban to be developed was actually protected territory under a central government regulation from 2008.

But Batang's district government issued a new regulation in 2011 stating the area was no longer protected -- and a maritime ministry official said Jakarta had no authority to overrule the decision.

"Indonesia is a democracy, and our country decided to give more power to local governments to make these decisions," Sudirman Saad, the ministry's head of marine, coastal and small island affairs, told Greenpeace and reporters.

"This isn't our responsibility. If you want to ask why this project was approved, you have to ask the Batang government," he said.

Indonesian delegates at the Rio+20 environmental summit in Brazil last month stressed the importance of a "blue economy" to help tackle climate change and conserve marine resources in the world's biggest archipelagic nation.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • US ambassador slashed and bloodied in Seoul attack
    US ambassador slashed and bloodied in Seoul attack

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was slashed on his face and arm in Seoul on Thursday by a blade-wielding assailant opposed to ongoing US-Korean military drills. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which left the ambassador bleeding profusely as he was rushed to hospital, and said that President Barack Obama had spoken with him. Witnesses described how a man with a blade concealed in his right hand had lunged across a table at Lippert at a breakfast function at …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options