“WE'RE the best. So don't settle for just a ‘better Cebu.’”
This was the statement of incumbent Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia in an interview with the media in line with the upcoming May 2022 polls.
She filed her certificate of candidacy (COC) on Friday, October 8, 2021, as a relectionist under the One Cebu party and Partido Demokratikong Pilipino-Laban ng Bayan (PDP-Laban).
As of writing, Garcia’s running mate for vice governor is not yet known.
“Abangan nalang siguro ninyo kon kinsay mo file (just watch out who will file) for vice governor,” Garcia said.
She will run against former tourism secretary Ace Durano, who carries the Bakud party and Partido Pilipino sa Pagbabago (PPP) of Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte.
Durano filed his COC on Thursday, October 7. He criticized the current administration’s management of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic, especially regarding the public health sector.
Garcia said there is no need to answer a person who belatedly knows the issues hounding the Cebuanos.
“I don’t think that deserves any comment at all. If this were coming from someone who had been working very hard in all of these months, had contributed several bags of rice or maybe even one kilo of rice or even one can of sardines, maybe I would respond,” she said.
Garcia also shared her administration’s accomplishments.
“Gibalik nato ang Sugbo pagka numero uno (We made Cebu number one). Two and a half years later, despite the horrendous challenges we deal with Covid-19, I am happy to say that Cebu is once again number one in terms of total assets, total cash, and because we decided to balance public health with the economy,” she said. “My message to the Cebuanos is actually this: We are, once again, number one. We're the best, so don't settle for just a ‘better Cebu’ because Cebu right now is the best. And ipadayon nato ang Sugbo pagkanumero uno (we will continue to make Cebu number one)." (ANV)