Evergreen Hussey inspires Aussies to series win

Michael Hussey and Glenn Maxwell hit fighting half-centuries to help Australia beat Pakistan by three wickets in the third and final one-day international Monday, taking the series 2-1.

Hussey scored 65 for his 39th fifty and Maxwell hit a 38-ball 56 not out as Australia successfully chased down a challenging target of 245 in 47 overs, with three wickets in hand, spoiling Pakistan's chances of beating them for the first time since 2002.

Opener Mohammad Hafeez topscored with 78 in Pakistan's fighting total of 244-7 after they were put into bat in Sharjah.

Hussey added an invaluable 51 for the fifth wicket with Matthew Wade (22) after Pakistani spinner Saeed Ajmal (3-37) had threatened to wreck their innings, reducing Australia at one stage to 108-4.

Australia had won the first match by four wickets here last week before Pakistan levelled the series with a seven wicket win in the second match in Abu Dhabi on Friday.

But on Monday the 37-year-old Hussey, regarded as one of the best finishers in limited overs cricket, kept his cool during a 72-ball knock. He hit seven fours and a six.

Even when Wade was bowled by Abdur Rehman, Hussey fought hard, adding 67 with Maxwell. When Hussey was bowled by Khan, Australia still needed 19 but Maxwell ensured the chase was successful, hitting four fours and three sixes.

Australian captain Michael Clarke praised the team effort.

"It's fantastic to win the series," said Clarke. "I can't be more proud of the boys because it was tough chase but Michael and Maxwell did very well."

Pakistan captain Misbah-ul Haq said the loss was disappointing.

"It was a hard fought series but in the end we are disappointed with the defeat. We were 20-30 short but full credit to Australia," said Misbah, who has now lost the last three one-day series.

Australia got off to a rapid start with David Hussey putting on 44 by the ninth over with David Warner (21), both taking the attack to the Pakistanis from the outset. David Hussey hit three sixes during his 45-ball knock of 43.

But once Ajmal came on the Australian innings faltered as the off-spinner dismissed David (Hussey), Clarke (32) and George Bailey in his first five-over spell but Hussey then foiled Ajmal in his second spell.

Pakistan were also sloppy in the field as they dropped four catches and their wicket-keeper Kamran Akmal spurned one stumping.

Earlier Hafeez's 97-ball knock -- his first fifty against Australia in eight matches -- helped Pakistan post a challenging total.

Hafeez put on 129 for the opening wicket with Nasir Jamshed (48) and it looked as if Pakistan would post a big total but they were once again derailed by some sustained pace bowling by Mitchell Starc who finished with 4-51.

Jamshed, who hit 97 at Abu Dhabi, was again at his fluent best as he hit six boundaries during his 75-ball knock.

Once Hafeez fell, trapped leg-before by Clarke in the 33rd over Pakistan were hard pressed for runs. Hafeez hit four boundaries and two sixes.

Starc, who took a career best 5-42 in the first match, then came into his own. The lanky left-arm paceman had Asad Shafiq (27) and Umar Akmal (nought) in the same over before ending Misbah's short 25 runs innings in the 47th over.

Azhar Ali made 27 not out to give fillip to Pakistan's total.

Surprisingly, Australia -- considered weak against spin on the Asian pitches -- have lost only one bilateral limited overs series in the sub-continent and Middle East in 20 years. They lost to India in a three-match series in 2010.

Pakistan and Australia now play three Twenty20 internationals -- all in Dubai -- on September 5, 7 and 10.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options