Haiti's Duvalier: Life was better with me in power

Former Haitian dictator Jean-Claude "Baby Doc" Duvalier angrily defended his rule Thursday at a hearing on whether he can be charged with crimes against humanity.

Duvalier, who came to power as a teen, ruled with an iron fist until being ousted in a popular revolt in 1986 and fled into exile in France, returning just two years ago, tried to turn the tables on today's Haitian rulers.

He said people had in fact lived better under him.

"What have you done with my country?" he asked the judge in a much-delayed session at which he confronted victims of his regime for the first time. His supporters in the courtroom cheered.

Former opposition figures have accused Duvalier of deploying the feared Tonton Macoute militia and of complicity in murder, torture and kidnapping.

The issue at stake in Thursday's hearing was whether the statue of limitations on the alleged human rights abuses has expired.

Duvalier, 61, said on Thursday that when he was president, Haitians were indeed impoverished but things more or less limped along "and Haitians sent their children to school."

"I cannot say life was great but people lived decently," he said.

Duvalier spoke so softly to Judge Jean-Joseph Lebrun that a court clerk had to repeat his words so everyone else could hear them. The judge had asked him if he assumed responsibility for his actions as president.

Duvalier said he had done his best to give the people of the western hemisphere's poorest country a decent life.

"Upon my return I found a country in ruins and engulfed by corruption," he said. "It is my turn to ask, 'what have you done with my country?'"

The judge at one point told Duvalier he was accused of ordering illegal arrests, torture and political killings.

"How do you answer?" the judge asked.

Duvalier said: "Each time cases were reported, I intervened so that justice was rendered."

Human rights groups, such as Human Rights Watch, expressed satisfaction that Duvalier was finally in court.

Victims of his regime were in the courtroom, and were to testify later.

One former political prisoner, Robert Bobby Duval, told AFP Duvalier was "a true dictator, and has shown his true temperament."

Duvalier was summoned by a judge to appear Thursday after failing three times previously to show up in court.

He wore a dark suit and white shirt as sat in the packed courtroom with his companion Veronique Roy.

Outside, several dozen supporters wearing the red and black colors that symbolized the old regime shouted out support for the former ruler, saying "Long live Duvalier."

A Haitian court decided last year that too much time had passed for Duvalier to be charged with crimes against humanity, which are protected by a statute of limitations. His alleged victims have appealed that decision.

Duvalier was the world's youngest head of state when, at the age of just 19, he succeeded his late autocratic father Francois "Papa Doc" in 1971. He was overthrown in a popular revolt in 1986 and fled to France.

He returned to Haiti two years ago after 25 years in exile.

Duvalier had initially been scheduled to appear in court on February 7, but failed to show up and instead sent a letter accusing the judge of taking the plaintiff's side and asking for the hearing to be postponed.

He was also a no-show at a hearing last week, prompting the judge to issue an order mandating his appearance at Thursday's hearing.

He objected to the original hearing date because it was the symbolically fraught anniversary of the 1986 day when he was overthrown.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options