Belgian Hazard opts to sign for Chelsea

Lille's Belgian international playmaker Eden Hazard announced late Monday he had signed for Champions League winners Chelsea in preference to Premier League champions Manchester City and runners-up Manchester United.

The fee is reported to be 40million euros with Hazard signing a five year contract and breaks the record for a Belgian footballer's transfer with Marouane Fellaini's to Everton of 20million in 2008 being the previous mark.

He will also earn a reported 550,000 euros a month.

The 21-year-old - who was voted Ligue 1 Players' Player of the Year for the second successive year recently - had previously said he would definitely sign for one of the Manchester clubs without specifying which one.

However, Chelsea's penalty shootout win over Bayern Munich in the Champions League had he admitted at the time made him hesitate as to his choice - speculation he ended on Monday even though the transfer window doesn't officially open till June 13.

"I'm signing for the champion's league winner," he tweeted.

Hazard, capped 27 times and scorer of two goals, was inspirational when Lille won the domestic double in 2011 and though they failed to defend their titles this season he nonetheless enjoyed a successful season, scoring 17 goals and providing 15 assists.

Hazard is due to play against several of his new team-mates in Saturday's friendly with England at Wembley.

New Belgian national coach Marc Wilmots said that no-one should expect too much else to be said on his reasons for choosing Chelsea for the moment.

"When he has revealed via his tweet, his destination, he will remain silent until his new employer asks him to explain his choice. Don't hope for much more in the next dozen days or so," Wilmots said at a press conference.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Filipino on US most wanted list killed: rebels, military
    Filipino on US most wanted list killed: rebels, military

    A Filipino on the United States' list of most wanted "terrorists" has been killed in a firefight in the southern Philippines, Muslim rebel leaders and the military said Monday. Abdul Basit Usman was killed in a remote mountainous area while being escorted by members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), the nation's biggest rebel group, its vice chairman Ghazali Jaafar said. Security forces had been hunting Usman since he escaped from a January police raid that killed Malaysian …

  • SE Asia Stocks-Mixed; Indonesia ends 7-day losing streak

    JAKARTA, May 4 (Reuters) - Southeast Asian shares mostly traded mixed on Monday, with Indonesia and the Philippines rebounding after a recent bout of weakness. Indonesian stock index rose 1.3 percent after ... …

  • Philippines says Islamist militant was killed by followers

    The Philippines' most wanted Islamist militant, whose death at the weekend could boost peace efforts in the country's south, was killed by his own bodyguards in pursuit of a bounty offered by the United States, the head of the military said on Monday. Abdul Basit Usman, a militant with strong al Qaeda links who was blamed for numerous bomb attacks in the southern Philippines, had been hunted by security forces since 2002. "There was in-fighting among his group," General Gregorio Pio Catapang …

  • EM ASIA FX-Firm dollar, weak China factory survey hurt Asia FX

    * Won falls on weak exports, PMI; mkt wary of intervention * Rupiah down on bonds, NDFs; Indonesia's Q1 GDP eyed * Philippine peso lowest in more than a month (Adds text, updates prices) By Jongwoo Cheon ... …

  • Philippine military chief confirms wanted militant killed

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippine military chief confirmed Monday that wanted Filipino bomb-maker Abdul Basit Usman, who has links to the Indonesian-based Jemaah Islamiyah terrorist network and is a suspect in deadly bomb attacks in the south, has been killed. …

  • PSC sports venues deteriorating – COA
    PSC sports venues deteriorating – COA

    The Commission on Audit (COA) has noted the sorry state of the country’s sports venues despite supposedly receiving sufficient funds from the government. It reported that the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) got an additional budget of P626.563 million in 2013 alone but failed to maintain and upgrade the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex (RMSC) in Malate, Manila and the Philsports Complex in Pasig City. This, according to the COA report, is already a disadvantage to the country’s athletes. …

  • Taguig bettor wins P39.2-M lotto jackpot
    Taguig bettor wins P39.2-M lotto jackpot

    A player from Taguig City won the jackpot of the 6/42 Regular Lotto’s May 2 draw, the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) announced yesterday. PCSO general manager Jose Ferdinand Rojas said the still unidentified winner guessed the six-digit winning combination, 12-42-16-04-11-08, which has a jackpot of P39.2 million. At least 80 other players won P11,420 each after they guessed five digits of the winning combination. The 6/42 Regular Lotto online game is drawn every Tuesday, …

  • Tropical depression spotted off Mindanao
    Tropical depression spotted off Mindanao

    A tropical depression hovering over the Pacific Ocean is expected to enter the Philippine area of responsibility on Thursday and may bring much-needed rain to the country later this week, the state weather bureau said yesterday. As of 10 a.m. yesterday, the weather disturbance was spotted at 1,615 kilometers east of Mindanao with maximum winds of 45 kilometers per hour near the center, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said. PAGASA said …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options