Heat on ECB to act as eurozone crisis deepens

The European Central Bank is coming under increasing pressure to come to the rescue once again as the eurozone debt crisis deepens, with analysts suggesting it could cut interest rates soon.

The ECB's governing council usually convenes on the first Thursday of every month for its regular policy-setting session but it is meeting in the bank's Eurotower headquarters on Wednesday owing to a public holiday.

While the majority of ECB watchers believe the bank could cut borrowing costs very soon from their current historic low of 1.0 percent, most analysts believe it will not act this month, preferring to keep its options open.

"With the euro area crisis deteriorating, there is a lot of pressure on the ECB to act but in our view it is unlikely to announce any specific new measure this Wednesday, while obviously keeping the door open to intervene should the crisis worsen," said Silvio Peruzzo of RBS European Economics.

At the meeting, the ECB will also publish its latest quarterly staff projections on inflation and growth which could highlight the downside economic risks for the 17 countries that share the euro.

The figures could bolster the case for a rate cut.

Italian Mario Draghi -- who took over as ECB president last November -- has certainly not shied away from surprise moves in his short career at the helm so far.

Nevertheless, "while flagging the materialisation of further downside risk and the increased uncertainty about the growth outlook, the ECB might want to wait for further corroborating data to conclude that its second half of the year recovery expectations are challenged and hence cut rates," said Peruzzo.

He predicted a rate cut in July, "but we do not exclude the possibility that the ECB might pre-announce it this week, recognising the increasing downside risk to the economy."

ING Belgium economist Carsten Brzeski said the ECB "is caught between a rock and a hard place: opening the fire hose again could lead to political complacency, while doing nothing could accelerate the latest market turmoil."

It will be a "close call," Brzeski said, but he thought it "rather unlikely that the ECB will use the new room for manoeuvre ... this week."

The ECB "looks tired from being the eurozone's fire brigade and seems to have a preference for staying on hold. Despite latest developments in Greece and Spain, it looks likely that the ECB will want to keep pressure as high as possible to tackle political complacency," the analyst predicted.

The ECB has never hesitated to act from the very beginning of the crisis.

It quickly reversed last year's rate hikes to bring eurozone borrowing costs back down to an all-time low of 1.0 percent and embarked on a hotly contested programme of indirectly buying up the bonds of debt-mired countries.

Most recently, in two so-called long-term refinancing operations (LTROs) in December and February, it pumped more than 1.0 trillion euros ($1.25 trillion) into the banking system to avert a dangerous credit squeeze in the euro area.

Nevertheless, ECB officials have all along insisted that such measures cannot cure the root cause of the crisis -- profligate spending by governments.

Natixis economist Cedric Thellier believed the ECB would probably wait until its next meeting in July -- by which time the outcome of Greek elections on June 17 will be known -- before taking any further action.

Greece is heading to the polls for a second time in six weeks after an inconclusive vote on May 6. With the radical leftist Syriza party, chief opponent of a massive EU-IMF bailout accord, tipped to win this time, the election could lead to Greece quitting the single currency.

"We guess (Draghi) will try to save time and ammunition in case of an unfavourable outcome from Greek elections on June 17 and European summit on June 28," Thellier said.

"Then, further support from the ECB might be necessary" in the form of a rate cut or a third LTRO, he added.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • 3 Pinays on Forbes power women list
    3 Pinays on Forbes power women list

    Three Filipina executives, who are all daughters of known business tycoons in the country, made it to Forbes’ list of the 50 most powerful businesswomen in Asia. Teresita Sy-Coson, vice chairman of SM Investments and chairman of BDO Universal Bank, was included in the list for the fourth year in a row since its inception. “Under her (Sy-Coson) lead SMIC became the largest listed company on the Philippine Stock Exchange by market cap. Also in the 2015 list is 70-year-old Helen Yuchengco-Dee, …

  • China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral
    China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral

    China is building some “fairly amazing submarines” and now has more diesel- and nuclear-powered vessels than the United States, a top US Navy admiral told US lawmakers on Wednesday, although he said their quality was inferior. Vice Admiral Joseph Mulloy, deputy chief of naval operations for capabilities and resources, told the House Armed Services Committee’s seapower subcommittee that China was also expanding the geographic areas of operation for its submarines, and their length of …

  • Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel
    Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel

    The $150,000 pearl-studded, custom-made Calvin Klein dress worn by Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o at this year's Academy Awards has been stolen, police said on Thursday. The gown, embellished with 6,000 natural white pearls, was stolen from Nyong'o's room at the London Hotel in West Hollywood, during the day on Wednesday, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in West Hollywood said. "Ms Nyong'o was not in the room at the time of the theft," Deputy John Mitchell …

  • Pacman mega fight tax exemption up to Congress, BIR
    Pacman mega fight tax exemption up to Congress, BIR

    Malacañang is leaving it up to Congress and the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to consider a proposed special tax exemption for boxing icon Manny Pacquiao in his much-awaited fight with Floyd Mayweather. Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said yesterday it will have to be discussed by Congress because lawmakers are the ones who enact tax exemptions, special or general. Pacquiao has been dogged by unsettled tax obligations with the BIR. …

  • US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians
    US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians

    The US-led coalition has carried out air strikes against the Islamic State group in northeastern Syria, where the jihadists have launched a new offensive and kidnapped 220 Assyrian Christians. The raids on Thursday struck areas around the town of Tal Tamr in Hasakeh province, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, without giving information on possible casualties. The town remains under the control of Kurdish forces, but at least 10 surrounding villages have been seized by IS, along …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options