Five killed, thousands affected as monsoon rains pound Manila, nearby provinces

Editor's note: We have switched to a running report to cover the ongoing rescue operations in Metro Manila after heavy rains leaving many areas in the National Capital Region under water.


 

(UPDATED 4:08 PM)


At least five people were killed and over 800,000 persons have been affected by floods caused by the Southwest Monsoon in Metro Manila and nearby provinces, official government data showed.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Center (NDRRMC) was quoted in reports as saying that a family perished amid heavy downpour in the capital.

The NDRRMC said 808, 697 persons (179, 026 families) are in areas where there is "widespread flooding," including Metro Manila and the provinces of Bataan, Bulacan, Cavite, Ilocos, La Union, Laguna and Pangasinan, Tarlac and Zambales.

Of this number, over half a million individuals (53,951 families) are currently provided with basic needs and services--some evacuation centers and others by their relatives and friends.

The NDRRMC also said about P13 million worth of relief assistance have been deployed as of Aug. 6. The Social Welfare Department provided P6.1 million of this total, while local governments shelled out P6.2 million and non-govermental organizations, P654, 500.

"A total of  202 personnel, 14 vehicles and 14 seacrafts were deployed in various areas in Metro Manila to provide evacuation and search and rescue support," the NDRRMC reported.

It added that government agencies are continuously monitoring and disseminating public weather forecasts and flood advisories.

Regional centers have meanwhile been directed to "undertake precautionary measures in their respective areas of responsibility" and to "initiate pre-emptive evacuation of families in low-lying and mountainous areas" if needed.

Earlier in the day, Palace issued Memorandum Circular 33-A, signed by Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa, ordering the cancellation of work in private offices in the National Capital Region, Zambales, Bataan, Pampanga, Pangasinan, Tarlac, Laguna, Cavite, Rizal and Bulacan due to the harsh weather.

Deputy presidential spokesman Abigail Valte said companies who refuse to heed the Palace order may be reported to DOLE, amid reports some business process outsourcing companies still require their employees to report for work.

"For government, essential personnel involved in search and rescue and relief, public health, and safety are required to remain on duty. For the private sector, if your employer requires you to go to work, they must be able: (1) to ensure and be responsible for your safety; and (2) to give premium pay. In both instances, subject to existing labor standards: this covers all firms, including BPO and call centers," Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a separate statement.

There is no tropical cyclone existing within the Philippine Area of Responsibility, says Pagasa, and the downpour is due to the southwest monsoon.

The Department of Health has meanwhile declared a Code Blue Alert in Metro Manila meaning medical personnel in government hospitals will be on 24-hour duty in anticipation of casualties from floods and heavy rains.

"We have raised the alert due to the series of flooding in various areas of the region and the rising number of affected residents due to the continuous fall of heavy rains. Community Health Teams (CHTs) will be visiting local government units to provide medical assistance to residents affected by flood. Leptospirosis prophylaxis will also be given to residents in evacuation centers to avert possible spread of leptospirosis in the area," DOH regional director Eduardo Janairo announced Tuesday afternoon.

During a Code Blue Alert, medicine and medical supplies will be ready for distribution to areas affected by the floods, and DOH operation centers will be running round the clock, the department said in a press statement. "Close coordination with local government units, emergency and disaster units and also with the Armed Forces are being effected to handle possible calamities," Janairo said.


A boy wades waist-deep in floodwaters as he collects plastic scraps, to be sold, in Quezon City Metro Manila August …

TV reports now show that the heavy rains have placed many areas in the National Capital Region under water. The North Luzon Expressway-Balintawak area is already flooded, with traffic being diverted.

The Marikina river has also breached 19-meter level, prompting residents near the area to evacuate.

Heavy rains on Monday evening and La Mesa Dam's spill prompt local governments to suspend classes for Tuesday, as floods hit Quezon City, Valenzuela, and Malabon.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • North Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    North Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two missiles into the sea on Monday and vowed "merciless" retaliation as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre rattling. "And if there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the North …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral
    China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral

    China is building some “fairly amazing submarines” and now has more diesel- and nuclear-powered vessels than the United States, a top US Navy admiral told US lawmakers on Wednesday, although he said their quality was inferior. Vice Admiral Joseph Mulloy, deputy chief of naval operations for capabilities and resources, told the House Armed Services Committee’s seapower subcommittee that China was also expanding the geographic areas of operation for its submarines, and their length of …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

  • Pacman mega fight tax exemption up to Congress, BIR
    Pacman mega fight tax exemption up to Congress, BIR

    Malacañang is leaving it up to Congress and the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to consider a proposed special tax exemption for boxing icon Manny Pacquiao in his much-awaited fight with Floyd Mayweather. Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said yesterday it will have to be discussed by Congress because lawmakers are the ones who enact tax exemptions, special or general. Pacquiao has been dogged by unsettled tax obligations with the BIR. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options