Hockenheim 'ready' to replace Nurburgring

Hockenheim is ready to assume sole responsibility for hosting the German Grand Prix as the Nurburgring lurches towards administration, circuit owner Georg Seiler declared on Thursday.

The two circuits have shared the race since 2009, with Hockenheim set to play host to this weekend's event, but the Nurburgring's majority shareholder revealed on Wednesday that the track is 13 million euros (£10.2 million, $16 million) in debt.

"We're ready to adapt to any demands," Seiler told German sports news agency SID, a subsidiary of AFP.

"But I think that can things can still be worked out at the Nurburgring and that we can continue with the alternating arrangement."

The Nurburgring's owners had been counting on financial aid from the European Union after extensive renovation work but were told by the European Union last week that no decision on a bail-out would be made until at least July 30.

That has left them with no option other than to instruct the track's management board to start an insolvency process.

Meanwhile, Nurburgring Automotive, the company that manages the circuit, says it has reached a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone to continue staging races on alternate years with its sister track at Hockenheim.

The deal would see Ecclestone taking over promotion for the race, covering all the race's costs and pocketing any revenue.

"It's definitely a solution," said Seiler. "It could save the state of Rhineland-Palatinate from future shortfalls."

Around 56,000 tickets for Sunday's race had been sold on Thursday, sustaining hope that the sales figures of 62,000 from 2010 could be matched.

"We've made a very small profit over the last two editions and that should be the case again this year," said Seiler.

Meanwhile, reigning double world champion Sebastian Vettel and seven-time champion Michael Schumacher have both expressed hope that the Nurburgring will be able to continue to host the German Grand Prix.

"I hope the Nurburgring is re-established quickly," said Vettel.

"It would be an embarrassment to lose this race because it's one of the oldest on the calendar."

His remarks were echoed by his German compatriot Schumacher.

"We hope that the problems are sorted out quickly," said the 43-year-old Mercedes driver, who has tasted victory at the Nurburgring on five occasions.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Developers prepare for new rules and regulations
    Developers prepare for new rules and regulations

    Known as the "Subdivision and Condominium Buyers' Protective Decree," Presidential Decree No. 957 issued two sets of revised implementing rules and regulations (IRRs) earlier in 2015. A bill initiated by former President Ferdinand Marcos in 1976, the decree and its most recent amendments were designed to "protect buyers from fraudulent and unscrupulous subdivision and condominium sellers, operators and developers," according to the explanatory note that accompanied the bill in its senate …

  • Tsunami warning after Papua New Guinea hit by 7.5 quake
    Tsunami warning after Papua New Guinea hit by 7.5 quake

    A 7.5-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Papua New Guinea on Monday, US seismologists said, with "hazardous" tsunami waves possible in areas near the epicentre although no major damage was immediately reported. The quake hit at a depth of 33 kilometres (20 miles), some 55 kilometres from the nearest city of Kokopo on New Britain island and 787 kilometres from the capital Port Moresby, the United States Geological Survey said. "Based on all available data... hazardous tsunami waves …

  • ‘Get SAF 44 killers before BBL passage’
    ‘Get SAF 44 killers before BBL passage’

    Lawmakers are demanding the arrest of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) fighters involved in the killing of 44 policemen in Mamasapano before the approval of the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) in Congress. Cagayan de Oro Rep. Rufus Rodriguez, chairman of the 75-member ad hoc committee in the House of Representatives deliberating on the BBL, prodded the Department of Justice (DOJ) to speed up its investigation and file charges against the MILF guerrillas as the Aquino administration …

  • Pinoys dance for Earth Hour
    Pinoys dance for Earth Hour

    The Philippines once again displayed its support Saturday night for the worldwide observance of Earth Hour by hosting a dance party after turning the lights off from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. to save energy and make a statement on various environmental issues. The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) said widespread participation proved anew that no individual action on climate change is too small and that no collective vision is too big with celebrations in over 7,000 hubs in 170 countries. The WWF said …

  • Phl offers Sabah to win Malaysia’s support for UN case vs China
    Phl offers Sabah to win Malaysia’s support for UN case vs China

    The Philippines has offered to downgrade its claim on Sabah in exchange for Malaysia’s support for its case against China before the United Nations. The quid pro quo was contained in a note verbale the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) handed to a representative of the Malaysian embassy last week, a week after the visit of Malaysian Defense Minister Dato  Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein. The note verbale, a copy of which was obtained by VERA Files, referred to the May 6, 2009 joint submission …

  • Maysak to enter Phl Wednesday
    Maysak to enter Phl Wednesday

    A typhoon with international name Maysak is expected to enter the Philippine area of responsibility (PAR) on Wednesday and bring rains over Northern Luzon by weekend, the state weather bureau said yesterday. Aldczar Aurelio, weather forecaster of the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), said the typhoon was 2,810 kilometers east of Mindanao as of 10 a.m. yesterday. “This typhoon is still too far to affect any part of the country,” the weather …

  • Nonviolent disciplining of kids pushed

    Child rights advocates called on senators to pass and strongly endorse a law that will institutionalize positive and nonviolent methods of disciplining children.The Child Rights Network (CRN), Plan International Philippines (PIP), Philippine Legislators’ Committee on Population and Development (PLPCD), and Lihok Pilipinas Foundation led the call for the enactment of the Positive Discipline Bill.Several Quezon City Council members led by Majority Floor Leader Jesus Manuel Suntay, Victor Ferrer …

  • Method to their madness

    [caption id="attachment_256768" align="alignright" width="212"] Illustration by Rod Cañalita[/caption] EMMANUEL PORTUGAL Country Manager for the Philippines, VMware I look after the garden. I’d like to think that I have a green thumb—no plants have died so far! The ones I like now that I planted a few months ago is the Blue Iris. Like the town in the movie, my Blue Iris shows up in the morning and only appears for one day. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options