India interested in becoming 3rd telco player – Pres. Duterte

UNTV

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte poses for a photo with the newly-inducted Board of Directors of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce (Phil.), Inc. at the Malacañan Palace on February 20, 2018. ROLANDO MAILO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has set the deadline for identifying the third telecommunications industry that will end the duopoly of two giant telecommunications in the country to March.

The president himself invited Indian businessmen to invest in the Philippines as the third telecommunication industry when he went to India last month to attend the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)-India Commemorative Summit.

“India is also interested to enter into the telecom industry and we are considering,” said the president.

Department of Communications and Information Technology (DICT) officer-in-charge Undersecretary Eliseo Rio said that India has not yet submitted its offer on this.

However, the official said that it is better to have many options for the third telco player.

“The more, the better. It would be good for us. Yung selection process must be effective enough so that yung pinakamahusay dito sa mag-offer or who wants to be contenders, ma-select natin yung pinakamahusay,” said Rio.

(The more, the better. It would be good for us. The selection process must be effective enough so that we can select the best among the contenders.)

The DICT has issued an initial draft of the joint memorandum circular for the selection process of the new telco player.

The selection team is composed of Department of Finance (DOF), DICT, National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) and National Security Council (NSC). — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News and Rescue

The post India interested in becoming 3rd telco player – Pres. Duterte appeared first on UNTV News.