India pick Yuvraj for World Twenty20

India on Friday selected Yuvraj Singh for the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka, four months after he was treated for a rare form of lung cancer.

The 30-year-old left-hander, one of the most flamboyant batsmen in world cricket and man of the tournament in India's World Cup triumph last year, was named in a 15-man squad for the 12-nation tournament which begins next month.

Yuvraj, who completed chemotherapy in the United States in April to treat a germ-cell tumour between his lungs, has not played competitive cricket since two home Tests against the West Indies last November.

He only recently began light training at the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore.

"It is good to see Yuvraj back. He is fit and has fought his way back," chairman of selectors Krishnamachari Srikkanth told reporters in Mumbai.

"He has been one of the most important members of the Indian team. With this combination, we have a great chance to win the World Twenty20."

A delighted Yuvraj tweeted that it seemed he was making his debut all over again.

"Can't explain how I feel!" Yuvraj wrote. "Feels like I'm going to play for India for the first time. Its a special day for me.

"When I was diagnosed with cancer I always thought in my heart that one day I will come back and play for India. So here I am ready to represent my country once again.

"Its a huge honour. I can't wait to step on the field and wave the Indian flag!"

Yuvraj was a key figure in India's 50-over World Cup triumph last year, scoring 362 runs and taking 15 wickets in nine matches to be named man of the tournament.

He rose to fame when he smashed England's fast bowler Stuart Broad for six sixes in one over during the inaugural World Twenty20 in South Africa in 2007, which India went on to win.

India failed to reach the semi-finals in the next two editions in 2009 in England and 2010 in the West Indies.

The squad, announced in a media release by the Board of Control for Cricket in India, also includes seasoned off-spinner Harbhajan Singh and seamer Lakshmipathy Balaji.

Harbhajan, 32, a veteran of 98 Tests, 229 one-dayers and 23 Twenty20 internationals, makes a comeback after being ignored since August last year.

Balaji, who last played for India in 2009, returns to the national squad after an impressive run in domestic cricket and the Indian Premier League Twenty20 competition.

India have been drawn with defending champions England and Afghanistan in the preliminary group A, from which two teams will advance to the Super Eights round.

The squad will prepare for the tournament with two Twenty20 matches against New Zealand in Visakhapatnam on September 8 and Chennai on September 11. The World Twenty20 runs from September 18 to October 7.

India's World Twenty20 squad:

Mahendra Singh Dhoni (capt)(wkt), Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Irfan Pathan, Ravichandran Ashwin, Zaheer Khan, Lakshmipathy Balaji, Ashok Dinda, Rohit Sharma, Piyush Chawla, Harbhajan Singh, Manoj Tiwary.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Philippines backs support for small enterprises at APEC meet

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippines' top trade official on Saturday called for support for the integration of micro, small and medium enterprises in global trade, which he said would help reduce poverty and inequality in the Asia-Pacific region. …

  • US renews travel warning to Mindanao
    US renews travel warning to Mindanao

    The US State Department renewed its warning about the risks of travel to the Philippines, in particular to the Sulu archipelago, certain regions and cities of Mindanao and the southern Sulu Sea area. In an update on Wednesday of a travel warning it issued Nov. 20, 2014, the State Department said US citizens should continue to defer non-essential travel to the Sulu archipelago due to the high threat of kidnapping of international travelers and violence linked to insurgency and terrorism there. …

  • Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda
    Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda

    The Philippine initiative to put the interests of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) front and center in global and regional trade has made significant progress following the conclusion on Thursday of the 2nd APEC Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM2) and Related Meetings in Boracay, Aklan. Called “The Boracay Action Agenda to Globalize MSMEs,” the Philippine proposal calls for a host of specific, concrete and practical interventions that APEC economies can implement to provide MSMEs wider …

  • Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week
    Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week

    The Philippines will join a 15-nation meeting in Bangkok, Thailand next week to address the migration crisis involving thousands of Rohingyas who escaped persecution in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima bared this yesterday after meeting with United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) representative to the Philippines Bernard Kerblat. In an interview, De Lima said the Philippine government has been invited to the meeting. …

  • Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon
    Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon

    LEGAZPI CITY—A magnitude 4.2 earthquake hit Prieto Diaz town in Sorsogon before dawn yesterday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said. …

  • Drought-resistant rice breeds bared
    Drought-resistant rice breeds bared

    SCIENCE CITY OF MUÑOZ, Nueva Ecija – Amid the searing heat, the Philippine Rice Research Institute central experiment station here has identified nine rice breeds which have been proven to be drought-resistant and produce high yields in temperatures as high as 38°C based on a recent study. Thelma Padolina, lead researcher of the study titled “Screening of rice-induced mutants for heat and drought tolerance,” identified the breeding lines as the Ballatinaw lines, PSB Rc72H and Azucena lines. …

  • Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning
    Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning

    The United States military will continue air and sea patrols in international waters even after the Chinese navy repeatedly warned a US surveillance plane to leave the airspace over artificial islands China is creating in the disputed South China Sea. The Philippine government also declared it would continue activities in the region, calling on China to respect freedom of navigation and aviation. “Our position on the importance of letting freedom of navigation, freedom of aviation and …

  • MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned
    MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned

    Electricity and mobile phone services would be cut throughout Metro Manila, and all private and government offices and businesses, including shopping malls, would be closed. That would be the situation on July 16 between 3 and 8 p.m. to simulate the scenario of a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has warned that an earthquake of that magnitude could occur and kill at least 33,500 people and injure at least 113,600 others following a …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options