India gang-rape victim 'extremely critical'

Doctors in Singapore battled Thursday to save the life of an Indian student who sustained horrific injuries in a gang-rape, after she was dramatically airlifted from a hospital in New Delhi.

As India's prime minister vowed that the 23-year-old's attackers would face swift justice, doctors at Singapore's Mount Elizabeth Hospital described her condition in the intensive care unit as "extremely critical".

Dr. Kelvin Loh, chief executive officer at the hospital said in a statement: "As at 7pm (1100 GMT) the patient remains in an extremely critical condition. She is under treatment at Mount Elizabeth Hospital's Intensive Care Unit.

"Prior to her arrival, she has already undergone three abdominal surgeries and experienced a cardiac arrest in India.

"A multi-disciplinary team of specialists is taking care of her and doing everything possible to stabilise her condition."

The Indian government, which is paying for the woman's treatment, approved the decision to transfer her from Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital where she had been treated since the December 16 assault on a bus in the centre of the capital.

The victim's relatives accompanied her to Singapore.

"Since the day of the incident, it has been our endeavour to provide her the best of medical care," Indian Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said.

According to police, six men took turns to rape the woman and assault her with an iron bar, leaving her with severe intestinal injuries, before they threw her out of a bus that they had taken for a joyride.

While doctors in Singapore gave no details about the treatment she has received since her early morning arrival, their counterparts at Safdarjung said Mount Elizabeth was chosen as it has a multi-organ transplant facility.

"With fortitude and courage she has survived the after-effects of the injuries so far, but her condition continues to be critical," B.D. Athani, medical superintendent at Safdarjung Hospital, told reporters.

India has been rocked by a wave of protests since the attack, including one in Delhi on Thursday which brought several hundred people onto the streets. Riot police prevented them from marching on government buildings.

The protests have reflected not only the revulsion at the savage nature of the attack but also simmering anger over the level of violence against women.

Official figures show that 228,650 of the total 256,329 violent crimes recorded last year were against women, with the number of rapes in the capital rising 17 percent to 661 this year.

Gang-rapes are reported on a daily basis, with police revealing on Thursday that a 42-year-old woman had been found overnight dumped on a road in southeast Delhi after being gagged, sedated and raped by three men.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told a gathering of chief ministers from across India on Thursday that there was a "problem" which "requires greater attention".

Six men are in custody in connection with the assault on the student. Singh, whose government has been stung by criticism about the notoriously slow Indian justice system, said their case would be dealt with "expeditiously".

The government has already set up an inquiry commission into the attack while a separate panel has been asked to suggest stiffer punishments.

"Laws regarding the safety of women will be reviewed," Singh pledged.

As part of measures to fight crime against women, the Indian government also announced on Thursday it will post identities and photos of rapists on official websites to shame them in public.

India was rocked by a wave of protests in the week after the attack, prompting authorities to seal off large parts of the capital.

Several thousand riot police were again on duty on Thursday to prevent a group of around 500 people from marching on the presidential palace.

"We want justice," the protesters chanted.

Meanwhile, President Pranab Mukherjee's son, Abhijit, was criticised for describing some of the protesters as "dented and painted" women -- a phrase used by mechanics who mask rust on used cars with liberal coats of paint.

Among his most vocal critics was his own sister Sharmishtha who described his comments as "a bit of a shocker" and said her father also disapproved.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

  • Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour
    Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour

    A solar-powered plane made a third successful test flight in the United Arab Emirates on Monday ahead of a planned round-the-world tour to promote alternative energy. Organisers hope that Solar Impulse 2 may head off around the globe as early as Saturday but caution that the launch is dependent on the weather, even in the relatively cloudless Gulf. The hour-long test flight was the plane's third from the UAE capital Abu Dhabi's small Al-Bateen airport, but the first for Solar Impulse chairman …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options