India's Bharti quarterly profit dives surprise 28%

India's leading mobile phone firm by subscribers, Bharti Airtel, reported Wednesday a worse-than-expected 28 percent dive in quarterly net profit, hit by debt charges and foreign exchange losses.

But investors ignored the plunge, focusing instead on the company's stronger operating performance, driving up the company's stock by more than two percent.

The mobile phone operator said net profit slid to 10.06 billion rupees ($191 million) in the three months to March from a year earlier. The figure undershot market expectations that profit would decline to around 12.5 billion rupees.

The fall marked Bharti's ninth straight quarterly profit drop in India's fiercely competitive mobile market, which has over a dozen players.

Interest charges from its $3.2-billion acquisition of faster 3G spectrum and Bharti's $10.7-billion debt-funded purchase in 2010 of the African mobile operations of Kuwait's Zain weighed on earnings.

Foreign exchange losses and tax provisions also dragged down profit.

But revenues climbed 15 percent to 187.29 billion rupees as Bharti's average revenue per user -- a key performance measure -- increased 1.1 percent.

Its number of customers also jumped nearly six million in the final quarter to 181.3 million, double the addition in the previous three months.

"The operating numbers were basically good so this has offset the disappointment over the headline profit," said a Mumbai telecom analyst who could not be named due to his company's policy.

Bharti's shares rose 2.05 percent to 316.65 on the back of the results, outpacing a slightly firmer overall market.

"The year has ended with the company's customer base crossing 250 million across 20 countries," Bharti's billionaire chief Sunil Bharti Mittal said.

The earnings came amidst turmoil in India's telecom market after the Supreme Court this year cancelled 122 second-generation (2G) mobile licences issued in 2008 on grounds the distribution process was under-priced and corrupt.

The telecom regulator has proposed that the government auction the airwaves using a reserve price nearly 10 times the price used in 2008, raising alarm in the sector.

"These rates would be unsustainable for the industry," Bharti managing director Akhil Gupta told reporters, saying they would push up tariffs and threaten India's goal of pushing the mobile phone network across rural areas.

The developments have created uncertainty about the future of India's mobile market, which had been seen as one of the nation's biggest liberalisation success stories and a promoter of economic development.

"The recent regulatory developments in India will have significant implications on the future of telephony and broadband as well as India's global competitiveness," Mittal warned.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • 15 wounded in 2 explosions in restive southern Philippines

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — At least 15 people have been wounded in two separate blasts that hit a police camp in a restive southern Philippine province where Muslim militants operate, police said Saturday. …

  • 15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp
    15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp

    Fifteen people including 10 police officers were wounded in an attack on a mosque at police camp on a remote Philippine island long plagued by Islamic militancy, officials said on Saturday. Successive blasts targeted the mosque inside Camp Kasim on the island of Jolo early evening Friday -- an initial grenade attack followed by a bomb explosion less than 10 minutes later that was intended to target police who rushed to the scene, local authorities said. "It seems the (first) explosion was set …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. However, there is no word yet if the Philippines will specifically ask Tokyo to join calls for China to stop its massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options