Indonesia issues licenses to import garlic as prices jump sixfold

Jakarta (The Jakarta Post/ANN) - The Indonesian Trade Ministry has issued permits to import 135,000 tons of garlic to cope with the acute shortage of the spice, which has caused a sharp increase in its price throughout the country.

The Trade Ministry's director general for foreign trade, Bachrul Chairi, said that shipments for one of Indonesia's basic cuisine ingredients would take place within two weeks.

"Import permits for around 90 percent of a total of 160,000 tons of import quota for the first half have been issued and importers seem to have verified their orders," he said in Jakarta on Friday.

The Agriculture Ministry, which is authorized to decide on imports, has set a quota of 320,000 tons for garlic imports this year.

Half of the figure will be realized in the first half of the year, while the remaining 160,000 tons will be shipped throughout the rest of the year. The statement came one day after President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono ordered related ministers on the issue to respond quickly to the rising prices of foodstuffs.

Disruptions in the spice supply in local markets, particularly due to seasonal factors, have markedly pushed up prices over the past few weeks. The prices of shallots, also a basic ingredient in Indonesian cooking rose by up to sixfold to 60,000 rupiah (US$6.30) this week.

The steep increase in spice prices has raised concerns over a further increase in the country's inflation rate.

The increase in prices including garlic, shallots and red chilli, helped push up the Consumers Price Index (CPI) by 0.75 percent in February, driving year-on-year inflation to a 20-month high of 5.31 percent during the month.

"So far the pressure [from the price of spices] still exists. Based on our survey last week, pressure from shallots and garlic is still too high," newly appointed Bank Indonesia (BI) deputy governor Perry Warjiyo told reporters at this office.

In a move to pacify the market, the Trade Ministry also ordered the release of 332 containers of garlic retained at Tanjung Perak Port in Surabaya, Bachrul said. Hundreds of containers filled with horticulture products could not be released from the port due to licensing problems.

Bachrul said that the garlic from the containers would be gradually released to the market to help push down its price. In a normal situation, the containers without complete documents would have been returned to exporting countries.

"The prices have moved beyond the psychological limit, so we're taking concerted measures," he said.

The Dumai Customs and Excise Office in Riau province also foiled an attempt to smuggle 27 tons of shallots during an operation that took place on a highway in Pelintung subdistrict, Medang Kampai district, Dumai City last week.

Customs and excise officials seized the shallots that had been illegally imported from Thailand. The shallots were put inside 1,326 sacks, with each sack containing 20 kilograms of shallots.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP
    Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP

    The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said that the country’s aviation has met international safety standards and is currently being reviewed by the European Union. Members of the EU delegation recently made a courtesy call on CAAP Director General William Hotchkiss III. Beda Badiola, CAAP’s Flight Standards and Inspectorate Service chief, said all air carriers in the country have followed regulations that the agency was able to oversee properly according to standards. “They …

  • Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services
    Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services

    Despite the pronouncement of the leadership of the Philippine National Police that it’s business as usual, some basic services are undeniably affected by the absence of a full-time PNP chief, particularly the issuance of gun permits. The PNP had deferred the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since Dec. 3, a day before the Office of the Ombudsman slapped a six-month suspension on former PNP chief Director General Alan Purisima, who is facing plunder charges. …

  • Expanded Phl-US war games start today
    Expanded Phl-US war games start today

    The Philippines and the United States will kick off today this year’s Balikatan military exercises amid concerns over China’s reclamation activities in disputed areas in the West Philippine Sea. More than 11,000 Filipino and American troops will join the drills to be held simultaneously in different locations until April 30. …

  • Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online
    Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online

    Authorities warned the public yesterday to be more careful in dealing with people they meet online as the “budol-budol” and “dugo-dugo” gangs have expanded their deceptive operations on social media. Senior Inspector Robert Reyes, assistant chief of the Philippine National Police’s Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) investigation section, said online financial fraud is one of the emerging forms of scams in the country. Reyes said scam operators are looking for prospective victims online through …

  • Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term
    Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term

    President Aquino is inclined to name a new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief who can serve beyond the 2016 elections. Speaking to reporters at the Tarlac National High School before the weekend, Aquino said he was bewildered by the amended PNP Act that requires all deputies of the PNP chief to serve or stay at least one year in his post. Among the contenders for PNP chief are Deputy Director General Marcelo Garbo Jr., suspended Chief Superintendent Raul Petrasanta and Director Juanito …

  • ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’
    ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’

    Stronger international action is needed to counter China’s rapid reclamation activities in the West Philippine Sea, Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. said yesterday. Belmonte noted that statements of condemnation from global powers on the continued encroachment of China in the disputed waters have been ineffectual. He added that China’s blatant expansion activities are making the problem not just a regional security problem, but a global one. “China is obviously violating our territory in front …

  • MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks
    MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks

    Leaders of the House of Representatives renewed their call yesterday to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) to surrender its fighters allegedly involved in the killing of 44 police commandos in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, leader of the House independent bloc, said the continued refusal of MILF leaders to turn over their men is causing the further erosion of support for the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) in Congress. “I hope the MILF …

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options