Iran's Khamenei gives qualified support to opening to West

Iran's supreme leader on Saturday backed President Hassan Rouhani's overtures to the West but criticised some aspects of a UN visit during which he spoke with US counterpart Barack Obama.

Obama, meanwhile, said Iran was "a year or more away" from acquiring a nuclear bomb -- a claim Tehran vehemently denies -- indicating that Washington is operating on a different timetable than its ally Israel.

The comments from Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who wields ultimate authority in Iran, were his first public response to Rouhani's opening to the West in New York last week that was capped by a historic 15-minute telephone conversation with Obama.

“We support the diplomatic initiative of the government and attach importance to its activities in this trip,” he told military commanders and graduating cadets in remarks carried by his website, Khamenei.ir.

However, Khamenei added that “some of what happened in the New York trip was not appropriate... although we trust in our officials.”

While he did not elaborate, analysts said it was directed at the September 27 telephone call -- the first direct conversation between presidents of the two countries since Iran's 1979 Islamic revolution.

Rouhani's visit to New York for the UN General Assembly came after Khamenei had given the government permission to show “heroic flexibility”, raising hopes of a breakthrough in long-stalled talks on Iran's controversial nuclear programme.

But conservative commentator Mehdi Fazayeli said the government had made a mistake in “cashing in too quickly its coupon” of direct contact with the US administration.

“If the call had achieved a valuable outcome, the leader would not have disapproved,” the Tehran-based Fazayeli told AFP.

However Saeed Leylaz, a pro-reform political analyst, said Khamenei's criticism should not overshadow the new softer tone in Iran's foreign policy, considering that “there are domestic politics in play as well.”

“Even if the supreme leader is critical, one should not forget that without his permission the diplomatic initiative would not have been put in action in the first place,” he told AFP.

Khamenei, who has the final say on all matters of state including foreign policy, has evinced little faith in a rapprochement with an enemy long derided as the “Great Satan.”

“We are pessimistic towards the Americans and do not put any trust in them. The American government is untrustworthy, supercilious and unreasonable, and breaks its promises,” Khamenei said.

General Mohammad Ali Jafari, commander of Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard, said Monday that Rouhani should have waited for US concessions before agreeing to the call with Obama.

Rouhani has pledged to take a more pragmatic approach to the international nuclear talks in a bid to win relief from crippling US and European sanctions on Iran's oil and banking sectors.

Representatives of Iran and the six powers are to meet in Geneva later this month to seek ways to jumpstart decade-old negotiations that were put on hold in April ahead of the presidential election in which Rouhani won a surprise first-round victory.

In an interview with the Associated Press released on Saturday, Obama said Rouhani had staked his credibility on dialogue and it was up to the United States to see if he had the political weight to follow through.

“He is not the only decision maker -- he is not even the ultimate decision maker,” Obama said, in reference to Khamenei.

US, Israel divided on nuclear 'red line'

Obama also laid out a timetable on a possible Iranian atomic bomb that contrasted with that of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has warned that Tehran could cross an Israeli red line within “weeks".

However, an Israeli official on Saturday insisted Netanyahu was not referring to the time it would take Iran to manufacture an atomic bomb, but the time it would take to enrich the necessary uranium for one.

Netanyahu had secured a tougher line from Obama in his public comments after their White House talks last Monday, with the US president saying the use of military force was still on the table to stop Iran’s nuclear drive.

In his address to the General Assembly last Tuesday, Netanyahu himself warned that Israel was ready to unilaterally strike Iran.

Khamenei fired back after Netanyahu's comments, saying the US government is "seized by the international network of Zionism, and has to put up with the usurper (Israeli) regime and show flexibility towards it".

"We hear the repetitive and disgusting threats of the Iranian nation's enemies. Our response to any mischief will be serious and harsh," he said, echoing previous warnings of retaliation against the Jewish state and US bases and warships in the region in case of an attack.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Indonesian executions: key questions and answers
    Indonesian executions: key questions and answers

    Indonesia is set soon to execute eight foreigners convicted of drug offences, despite international outrage and desperate appeals for mercy from relatives. Authorities on Saturday gave formal notice to the eight -- from Australia, Brazil, Nigeria and the Philippines -- that they would face a firing squad imminently. If the executions go ahead, the seven men and one woman will be led to a clearing on a prison island to be shot by police marksmen -- after authorities have placed a black mark on …

  • Pagasa: Drought may worsen
    Pagasa: Drought may worsen

    The drought in 12 already dry areas in the country is expected to worsen as the summer season peaks next month, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. In an advisory, PAGASA said the provinces of Albay, Bataan, Batangas, Biliran, Cavite, Cebu, Ilocos Norte, Leyte, Misamis Occidental, Pampanga, Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur will continue to receive “way below” or “below normal” rainfall in May. PAGASA defines …

  • Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea
    Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea

    The military has advised its pilots conducting surveillance in the West Philippine Sea to exercise maximum restraint even if they are being bullied by Chinese troops. Armed Forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala said all actions of the pilots should be consistent with the declaration of conduct signed by claimant countries. Armed Forces public affairs chief Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said the Philippines should remain on moral high ground when it comes to the territorial dispute. A …

  • MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami
    MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami

    The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) yesterday led the annual rescue march from Quezon City to Manila, giving rescue volunteers a glimpse of possible scenarios if the metropolis is hit by a strong quake or is inundated by a tsunami. Cora Jimenez, MMDA general manager, said 700 volunteer rescuers walked from the Quezon City memorial circle to the Bonifacio monument in front of the Manila city hall to simulate a response-exercise to a magnitude 7.2 earthquake. Renato Solidum, …

  • Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean
    Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean

    Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario bared yesterday before the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) reports of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) threat to the Philippines through the Black Flag Movement in Mindanao. Speaking before ASEAN foreign ministers, Del Rosario said the ISIS threat to Philippine security is real rather than imagined because of the Black Flag Movement’s pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. …

  • ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’
    ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’

    China’s occupation and buildup of its military structures in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea is causing the country’s top energy official to get the jitters as the encroachment is seen as a huge dent on the Philippines’ efforts to achieve energy security. “It is a concern but if we don’t bring it to the United Nations, where will we bring it? We cannot bang heads with them,” Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla told The STAR in an interview over the weekend. The US Energy …

  • Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control
    Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control

    The Philippines yesterday urged the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to unite and stop China’s massive reclamation in disputed waters as it will give China “de facto control” over the area and cause $100 million in marine wealth losses annually. At the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting here, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario told his counterparts that the situation in West Philippine Sea had worsened just a year after the Philippines began to draw international …

  • Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip
    Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip

    The government has allotted about P11.8 million for President Aquino’s attendance at the 26th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia from April 26 to 28. “President Aquino’s participation to the 26th ASEAN Summit is important as the region gears toward the creation of an ASEAN community, which is envisioned to provide new opportunities for the peoples of this region, including the Philippines,” Ochoa said in a statement. He was with …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options