I've learned from Chelsea flop, says Villas-Boas

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas believes the painful lessons of his dismal spell in charge at Chelsea will help him succeed at White Hart Lane.

Villas-Boas was the surprise choice to replace Harry Redknapp at Spurs following a turbulent period with Chelsea that ended with the Portuguese coach sacked after just eight months.

At the time of Villas-Boas's dismissal, Chelsea were a club in crisis following reports of rifts between the manager and a host of senior players including Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and Nicolas Anelka.

But the Blues improved to such an extent after his exit that they were able to win the Champions League and FA Cup.

The 34-year-old acknowledges he made mistakes during his time at Stamford Bridge and he is determined to avoid falling into the same trap on his return to London with Spurs.

"You always learn from experience," Villas-Boas told Sky Sports News. "The Chelsea experience was maybe not so gratifying in terms of success but very gratifying professionally for me.

"I learned a couple of things that maybe I've done wrong and I've learned in a club you have to trust the right people at the right time."

Despite winning four trophies in his only full season in charge of Porto, Villas-Boas still has plenty to prove after such a damaging spell at Chelsea.

He is happy to have a second chance to impress in England, but insists bringing success to Spurs is more important than restoring his own reputation.

"It is not a mission of restoring my reputation, it's a mission to put Tottenham back on track with titles. Since 2008 we haven't won anything," he said.

"It is right we take the club forward, mixing it with titles and with success. Hopefully I can bring them to this football club.

"It is a massive opportunity for me and I am extremely pleased to be given that opportunity.

"I am pleased to come to a club with such high ambitions for the future and I hope to repay the trust of the chairman with success."

Villas-Boas, who was linked with the Liverpool and Roma jobs, revealed he had held talks with other clubs before joining Tottenham.

But he opted for Spurs after deciding the structure at White Hart Lane would suit him best.

"Since I stopped there has been a couple of discussions with other clubs, a couple of them have even been made public, but I was always willing to wait for the right opportunity at the right time," he added.

"After Chelsea it was important to be surrounded by the right commitment and the right people and I think I have found that."

Villas-Boas also admitted Spurs would consider selling Real Madrid and Manchester United target Luka Modric if they get a big enough bid for the Croatia midfielder.

Spurs turned down offers of around £30 million for Modric from Chelsea last year and it would take an increase on that fee to land the 26-year-old.

"The interest that we have from various different clubs shows the importance of the player and what he's done for Tottenham," Villas-Boas said.

"It's fair to say that the club respects Luka's ambitions and his willingness to move on and he respects the fact that he's an important player for the club and can help us move forward.

"Ongoing discussions will continue with these clubs until we reach an agreement which is acceptable for each party."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. In a brief despatch, North Korea's official KCNA news …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options