Jakarta public 'can help' war on terror

Jakarta (The Jakarta Post/ANN) - The Jakarta Police held a meeting with representatives of municipalities and regencies in Greater Jakarta yesterday in an effort to tackle possible terror threats and placed emphasis on how communities were an important part of preventing future attacks.

At the meeting, which came fresh on the heels of a series of terror-linked incidents in the capital over the last seven days, Jakarta Police chief Insp. Gen. Untung S. Rajab urged community leaders to be more proactive in compiling profiles of residents in their neighbourhoods.

"Everyone, not just police officers, must feel a responsibility to keep the city safe and secure. Neighbourhood units [RT] and community units [RW] chiefs must be more sensitive to all goings-on in their neighbourhoods," he said at the meeting, which was held at Jakarta Police headquarters.

According to Rajab, community leaders must increase their vigilance so that they can spot suspicious behavior in their areas immediately.

"If they see a house continually empty, they have to ask why. If they see someone who often receives guests late at night, they have to ask why. They have to ask questions and get answers. It is their right and responsibility."

The statements came mere days after the police arrested several suspected militants across Greater Jakarta. The suspects are believed to be connected to the terror-linked shootings in Surakarta, Central Java, that killed one policeman last month.

Police have also confiscated bomb-making materials in Tambora, West Jakarta, and in Beji, Depok, where a bomb exploded prematurely on Saturday night, injuring at least three people.

On Monday morning, police raided a house in Bojonggede, Bogor, after a tenant Arif, 26, was linked to the Depok bomb blast. In the house police seized pipes that had been cut into pieces and filled with explosives, along with notes on how to make bombs.

In light of these terror-linked incidents, Jakarta Police deputy chief Brig. Gen. Suhardi Alius urged Jakartans to develop a "crisis sense".

"The bombers in Depok had moved into the so-called Pondok Bidara orphanage [where the blast occurred] for a whole month. Why didn't anyone ask where the orphans were, or why there were no orphanage activities taking place in the building?" he said.

Bekasi Mayor Rahmat Effendi said an ever-increasing egoism and individualism among urbanites may have made them less alert to their surroundings.

"However, as egoistic and individualistic as we can be, we still live with one another in this big city and that involves a moral obligation to get to know one another and keep each other safe at the very least," he said.

South Tangerang Mayor Airin Rachmi Diany said that the requirement of newcomers to report to community leaders within a day of their arrival should be reinforced in light of the recent incidents.

"It must be more than just placing warning stickers on neighbourhood entrance gates. I believe that reporting to community leaders will do much to prevent possible terror threats," she said.

Alius went one step further by suggesting punishments for newcomers who failed to report their arrival within a day.

"Perhaps [the newcomers] can be reported to the police, because people will usually be frightened by that," he said.

Meanwhile, security measures across Greater Jakarta have been increased in the days after the incidents in Tambora and Depok.

Depok Police chief Sr. Comr. Mulyadi Kaharni said that more officers were deployed during night patrols and that security in border areas had been strengthened. They also conducted random identification document inspections in the street, Kaharni said.

Such raids were also conducted in Tangerang, west of Jakarta, Tangerang Police said. The raids were reportedly conducted on numerous major thoroughfares throughout the city.

"The raids were conducted in anticipation of various crimes, including terrorism," Tangerang Police chief Sr. Comr. Wahyu Widada said, as quoted by tempo.co.

Buildings in Jakarta are also visibly increasing security measures by employing more security guards on their entrance gates.

Indonesian Shopping Centre Association chief Stefanus Ridwan told The Jakarta Post recently that the association had warned all security guards in malls across the city to increase their vigilance.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day
    Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day

    Honda Philippines Inc. (HPI), and David's Salon recently held the awarding ceremony for the Metro Manila winner of the David's Salon Scooter Raffle Promo at the 5th level of SM Megamall Building A. Loyal patron Maria Theresa Guevara took home a brand new Honda Click 125i. Present to grace the occasion were David's Salon Creative Director Laura Charlton and HPI Assistant Vice-President for Sales and Marketing Hideo Nishinaga.To the delight of all those in attendance, guests were treated to …

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options