Grim details emerge of Indian car plant violence

A manager at top carmaker Maruti burned to death in India's worst industrial violence in recent memory because he was unable to flee after rioters broke his legs, police said Friday.

The grim account emerged as output at Japanese-owned Maruti Suzuki's Manesar plant near New Delhi remained halted following Wednesday's riot in which nearly 100 executives were hurt when workers chased them with bars and torched offices.

The body of the plant's human resources manager, Awanish Kumar Dev, found charred beyond recognition in a burned-out conference room, was identified by a tooth implant, police said as they issued fresh details about the violence.

"He had no chance of escape, his attackers broke his legs so he was trapped inside," deputy police commissioner Maheshwar Dayal told AFP.

The personnel manager had been huddled with union officials to discuss disciplinary matters when he was attacked, Dayal said.

Police were searching for a dozen Maruti union leaders in connection with the riots, Dayal said, adding 91 workers at the plant -- which has some 3,000 employees -- had already been arrested on accusations ranging from attempted murder to rioting.

A senior Maruti executive who did not wish to be identified told AFP it was not known when the factory, which makes 550,000 vehicles a year -- accounting for a third of Maruti's output -- would reopen.

"We have 100 people injured... They are in trauma," he said. "Who's going to run the plant? We have not assessed when it will reopen."

Maruti said in a statement late Friday that some managers had been released from hospital but that 33 others remained there and were "undergoing treatment for critical injuries received during the violence at the plant".

Earlier the company had said 50 managers had been hospitalised.

A protracted closure would be a blow for Maruti, whose profits slid 29 percent last year on the back of labour disputes over pay and union recognition that cost more than $500 million in lost production.

Investors have wiped hundreds of millions of dollars off the value of shares of Maruti and its parent company, Suzuki Motor, since the riot, spooked by fears of a lengthy shutdown.

Japan's government has condemned the "violence and vandalism" at Maruti, and urged Indian police to "effectively enforce law and order so that such (incidents) would not be repeated".

Labour discontent has been mounting in India, especially in the auto sector, with inflation pinching pay packets and rampant use of cheaper contract workers fuelling unhappiness on shop-floors.

But the rioting suggests "a pressure-cooker situation in which discontent last year over pay and working conditions was a long way from being settled", said Deepesh Rathore, chief analyst at consultancy IHS Automotive India.

"Part of the problem may also be that Japanese working standards are quite disciplined... there is a lot of pressure on the worker," he said.

The union said the trigger for the violence was a supervisor who insulted a worker over his low-caste status, but Dayal rejected this, saying both workers "belonged to the same low caste".

Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi was due to travel to Tokyo on Sunday where he was expected to meet executives of Suzuki Motor and suggest Maruti expand its planned new operations in his business-friendly coastal state.

"Maruti will have to bring Manesar back to life, it's an important plant, but it may speed up its investment in Gujarat where law-and-order is much better and it has less chance of trade union problems,' said Rathore.

The Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM), a leading industry lobby, said the violence could further sour India's investment climate, already tarnished by stalled economic reforms and a string of corruption scandals.

"Such acts of violence sully the image of India as a manufacturing base," said SIAM chief S. Sandilya.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options