[Update: Leno is stable and says he's "OK."]
Comedian and car icon Jay Leno is reportedly in stable condition after being admitted to the hospital Sunday after suffering what TMZ describes as "serious" burns when his 1907 White Steam Car caught fire in the Los Angeles garage where his massive collection of vintage automobiles is stored.
Leno was servicing a fuel line in the car and was sprayed by fuel, which was ignited by an ill-timed spark. A quick-thinking friend snuffed out the fire and helped Leno seek medical attention. The left side of former “The Tonight Show” host's face was burned. His eye and ear were not severely damaged, but he is expected to need skin grafts.
The 1907 is one of two White Steam Cars in Leno's collection; both have been featured on "Jay Leno's Garage."
Per Deadline, Leno released a statement saying that he is "OK" after “I got some serious burns from a gasoline fire. I am ok. Just need a week or two to get back on my feet.”
He had been scheduled to attend a Las Vegas financial conference on Sunday, but plans were canceled following his burn injuries, which were not shared publicly at the time.
Despite retiring from late-night television, Leno maintains a career as a personality, hosting the series "Jay Leno's Garage," which features vehicles from his personal collection alongside guests' rides. Recently, he had President Biden on the show with his personal 1967 Chevrolet Corvette — with a special appearance from the new Ford F-150 Lightning.
This story is developing and will be updated as new information is released. Includes Reuters content.
You Might Also Like