JBC interviews 2 candidates for next Sandiganbayan presiding justice

Two justices — one from the Court of Appeals and another from the Sandiganbayan — on Thursday faced members of the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) which was screening candidates for the next Sandiganbayan presiding justice.

The two were CA Associate Justice Apolinario Bruselas Jr. and Sandiganbayan Associate Justice Amparo Cabotaje-Tang.

During the interview of Bruselas, Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno, the ex-officio chair of the JBC, asked him about his take on the 2,600 cases currently pending with the anti-graft court, pointing out that litigation usually takes seven to eight years on the average.

In response, Bruselas said it would take at least two years to cut down the time it takes for a case to be resolved at the Sandiganbayan.

Bruselas said he plans to use technology through automation to ensure the speedy resolution of cases and transparency in the Sandiganbayan "without violating due process (and) right of litigants, without destroying the privilege of privacy in some sensitive case."

He said he would introduce an "information tracking system" to monitor the status of cases.

"If I am given the opportunity to head the agency, I will revisit, revise and enhance it to ensure that it is used by justices, used by personnel and the people have access to information," Bruselas said.

Instead of focusing on creating more courts, Bruselas also suggested that "we should be repressing corruption with these courts."

"The Sandiganbayan is not simply an anti-graft court; its presence must be imposing enough to prevent graft activities," he said.

Bruselas wrote a CA decision last year that allowed a Pasig court to continue hearing a case seeking to compel businessman Roberto Ongpin, a Trade minister during the Marcos regime, to return P412 million in profits he allegedly earned from the sale of the Philex Mining Corporation shares.

Bruselas also penned the CA ruling that

denied a petition from Sen.-elect Cynthia Villar against the Las Piñas-Parañaque Coastal Bay project, which she claimed could trigger massive environmental damage.

Cabotaje-Tang

For the second interview, JBC regular member Jose Mejia asked candidate Sandiganbayan Associate Justice Amparo Cabotaje-Tang if she thought former President Joseph Estrada, who recently won as Manila mayor, should not have been allowed to seek public office again because of his conviction of plunder in 2007.

"Presidential pardon is something wielded by the president and the power of the president is almost absolute," Tang said in response.

"But unless the accessory penalty [of disqualification] is express remitted, then that person cannot and is not qualified to vote or be elected," she added.

Asked about compromised agreements, Tang said they can be allowed in civil cases but not in criminal cases.

"Criminal cases can never be compromised... [and] there's also a plea bargaining agreement," she said.

The Sandiganbayan had earlier approved a plea bargain agreement between former Armed Forces of the Philippines comptroller Carlos Garcia and the Office of the Ombudsman.

Under the deal, Garcia entered a “guilty plea” to a lesser offense of direct bribery instead of plunder in exchange for returning over P135-million worth of assets.

In her interview, Tang said she can convince members of the anti-graft court to "cooperate in a time-sensitive process" to help speed up the resolution of cases pending before the court.

In the 10 months she has been with the Sandiganbayan, Tang said she has resolved 31 incidents in 31 cases, or an average of three incidents resolved per month.

Before being appointed to the Sandiganbayan in August 2012, Tang worked at the Office of the Solicitor General for three decades.

As Assistant Solicitor General, Tang represented the government in a writ of amparo case filed by former National Bureau of Investigation director Magtanggol Gatdula against the Department of Justice and the NBI.

Tang also took pride that while at the OSG, the government was able to recover over P60 billion worth of coco levy funds, which came from taxes imposed on coconut farmers during the martial law years by alleged cronies of then President Ferdinand Marcos, including Eduardo "Danding" Cojuangco, with the promise of sharing investments and development of the coconut industry.

Before her stint at the OSG, Tang worked as a judicial assistant at the Supreme Court for two years. At 58, she is the youngest member of the Sandiganbayan.

"I may be junior in judicial experience but I am not a junior in legal and administrative experience," she said.

Insisting on her independence as a Sandiganbayan justice, Tang claimed "no one has swayed me into delaying or solving a case in favor of one party."

The JBC began its search for nominees to become the next presiding justice of the Sandiganbayan, following the mandatory retirement of Presiding Justice Francisco Villaruz Jr. last June 8 after turning 70.

JBC search

The JBC is constitutionally mandated to screen and vet nominees for vacant posts in the judiciary and the Office of the Ombudsman.


The present council is chaired by Sereno, with Justice Secretary Leila de Lima and Rep. Niel Tupas Jr. or Sen. Chiz Escudero - representing Congress - as ex-officio members.


Meanwhile, JBC's four regular members are Mejia representing the academe, lawyer Milagros Fernan-Cayosa representing the Integrated Bar of the Philippines, retired SC Justice Regino Hermosisima and retired CA Justice Aurora Santiago-Lagman representing the private sector.

Interviewed during a break in the interviews, Mejia said voting for the shortlist would be held on July 1, the same day the list would be forwarded to President Benigno Aquino III, who will select Villaruz's replacement.

Mejia said the JBC would pick at least three nominees. — KBK, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. During the assault, Kim screamed a slogan in favour of …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl
    Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy’s biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi’s rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire’s Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometer (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Ohio mom, boyfriend guilty; child emailed teacher for help

    PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (AP) — A woman and her boyfriend pleaded guilty to raping her young children and were sentenced to prison on Wednesday, a year after one of her daughters emailed a teacher for help and said she and her siblings were being chained to their beds, deprived of food and sexually assaulted. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options